Are We Bored?

version

I sometimes wonder whether Brexit was the result of chronic vitamin d deficiency on the part of an entire nation.

blissblogger

perhaps there is subtle distinction between ennui and boredom

ennui being more like the internal thing (nothing could possibly interest me in this state) and boredom more like objective deficiency of stimuli in the surrounding environment (incl. culture environment)

but i dunno, maybe in French ennui just means boredom

not read Pessoa The Book of Disquiet but there are some passages in it on boredom that are very good in the same sort of mode Luke has been doing here - it's where he talks about "nostalgia for the future" as this ache that rends him apart almost physically, a sort of anywhere-but-here / absolute-elsewhere-take-me-please-ASAP sensation

version

I've got that book. I got put off reading quotes from it though. He sounded like someone on tumblr, some of them were excruciating.

“I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.”

:eek:

blissblogger

i'm losing i'm losing i'm liosing i'm losing my Vitamin D

several years ago i went to the doctors for one of those checkups you do when you are at this sort of age

and she said blah blah basically fine cholesterol we should watch that blah blah - and then "oh, but you have a rather severe Vitamin D deficiency"

clearly too much time indoors tap tap tapping on the computer

so she puts me on these mega-doses, really large amounts of Vitamin D

i start taking them and don't notice anything

but then one morning, quite soon after starting on the doses, i go out for a walk

and i'm like "oooh, isn't this neighbourhood pretty? look at those birds. how lucky i am to live here. blessed!"

there's this discernible spring in my step

i'm super alert

it takes me a while but then i realise 'fuck me, the Vitamin D kicked in'

so for about week i'm rushing off these megadoses of Vit D, feel incredibly vigorous and positive in outlook

then inevitably it stabilises - but still definite improvement in mood etc -
i hadn't realised i'd been sunk in this low-level gloom

the course of pills ended - i now take smaller amounts, self-prescribed, still a lot more than the normal recommended daily quotas

i can't say i can notice much difference in terms of zest for life now

but i would recommend anyone who feels underpar or down in the dumps, to give it a go as a short term jolt

get yourself tested for your Vit D levels

version

Apparently everyone in Britain should be taking supplements as we don't get enough from sunlight most of the year, it's only from like 12 'til 3pm during summer that it's adequate.

luka

I work outside but you can't do much about the winter and the fact we simply don't see the sun for six months. Maybe I'll move to LA and sleep on Simons couch

version

I work outside but you can't do much about the winter and the fact we simply don't see the sun for six months. Maybe I'll move to LA and sleep on Simons couch

Apparently everyone in Britain should be taking supplements as we don't get enough from sunlight most of the year, it's only from like 12 'til 3pm during summer that it's adequate.

blissblogger

you are very welcome, although it should be noted that i got this Vit D deficiency while in LA!

constant sunshine is not necessarily going to work unless you go out in.

but then they tell you put on sunblock - actually i seem to recall reading that the use of sun protection is a factor with the vit d deficiency, that it's blocking the absorption of vit d from sunshine

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thats true. I got a vit d deficiency notice after a blood test, but a couple of ppl told me they put that on everyone's when they dont find anything else wrong. Dubious about it, but I never got told it before after a blood test, when there were other things wrong.