Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dissensus Folk Memory

I didn't know anyone from England (or Ireland) and obviously no idea about any of the bloggerati back story

so looking back a lot of things must have passed me by - for example I was here for a couple years at least before I had any idea who k-punk even was

I came in at a pretty transitional period I think - the tail-end of the post-grads + hardcore record collectors, as luka puts it

Logan Sama, Tim Finney + those kinds of people would still post but pretty rarely iirc. k-punk was gone, blissblogger + woebot weren't around.

craner, vim, luka, nomad, zhao, john eden, droid, scottdisco are the names that stick out most in my mind

lots of other good people, some here and some not or at least not so much (andy, matt b, jenks, etc...other people I'm forgetting I'm sure)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

11 fucking years, and counting!

who would have ever thought

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

there was surprisingly little (any?) mention here of the the grime/uk funky/dubstep/cutting shapes/juke threads

i assumed that since they were so long and about "relevant" (at the time) genres they must have some interesting content

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    there was surprisingly little (any?) mention here of the the grime/uk funky/dubstep/cutting shapes/juke threads

i assumed that since they were so long and about "relevant" (at the time) genres they must have some interesting content
    You'd be wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Maybe that's unfair. They were useful to various scab journalists and second rate producers who scoured those threads for information and turned what they found into second rate articles and second rate records.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

those threads were strip mined by the unscrupulous.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    You'd be wrong.
    well at least you posted this when it counted:

how come i keep seeing all these dubstep djs looking exactly the same? real skinny, real pale, ratty brown hair, bum fluff mostaches, timid looking types? who is producing these people? where do they come from?
    90% of boys in north london look like this too now i come to think of it.
    Last edited by mvuent; 04-11-2019 at 07:04 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

well at least you posted this when it counted:
    I think we need some examples posted.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Luka is right about those threads. There was a violent reaction from people when it was suggested that the rolling grime thread be split up to encourage wider discussion - from people who only ever posted on that thread.

This is a different group of players embodying a different set of potentials. We don't have the post-grads, we don't have that academic background, and similarly we don't have that core contingent of old school record collectors. Those are the two serious knowledge bases that came along with Matt and Mark at the beginning. We don't know fuck all. We're blaggers. So what they did we can't do. But I think this is a good team, more human, more flexible, less inclined to ride their hobby horses up and down to borrow poetix phrase from earlier in the thread. Stupider certainly, less knowledgeable without a doubt, but with more emotional intelligence, more wit, better natured, humbler, more cooperative, wiser.

Also, dematerialisation, started by me, by myself, is the greatest thread of all time, and that was achieved with this current set of players so actually, we are the best I would say.
    if anything deserves "ok boomer" it's fucking record collecting!! no way those old school record collectors knew more than us. isn't that what that james murphy song is about? they'd probably be amazed that I'd heard of tago mago. I'd need some kind of proof to be convinced otherwise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

they'd probably be amazed that I'd heard of tago mago.
    though to be fair they'd actually know how to pronounce it
    Last edited by mvuent; 18-11-2019 at 07:04 AM.

apologies to anyone still around who would consider themselves part of that contingent luka mentioned. I just don't get it lol.

if anything deserves "ok boomer" it's fucking record collecting!! no way those old school record collectors knew more than us. isn't that what that james murphy song is about? they'd probably be amazed that I'd heard of tago mago. I'd need some kind of proof to be convinced otherwise.
    This is an interesting question. It was a different kind of knowledge. My feeling is there would have been a better grasp of the fundamentals, the canon, the bedrock, and less knowledge of the outer limits because of access and the kind of weird ecology of the Internet. We'd need woebot and bunnyhausen mms Bruno Francesco Dominic etc to confirm. Maybe Reynolds might have an opinion. I want answers

20. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

one difference from the early dissensus years: with youtube and streaming services, you don't need to collect the physical objects to be a deep record nerd. "record collectors" have their one world of crate digging, going to record fairs, dealing records, etc. now, we can be outside that entire world and compete on the same level of knowledge while in the comfort of home.

Arthur Brick.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post: