Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dissensus Folk Memory

Other big things were the original Padraig/hundredmillionlifetimes

Kpunk vs the world (niceness is evil etc)

Everyone ganging up on poor old Barty and Luka

I don't look back fondly on any of these things

Vimothy and Craner used to work together as a neo conservative hit squad back when the politics threads were battlegrounds and not the cosy swapping of memes and NYT articles they are today.

We had one great disaster when we got swamped by untermenschen from the sinking dubstep forum.

At the start there was a big divide between kpunks theory crowd and the rest of us who couldn't understand a word they were saying. Cold rationalists vs dope smoking dads.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    We had one great disaster when we got swamped by untermenschen from the sinking dubstep forum.
    That's when I snuck in.

A callow youth.

At the time I thought dissensus was the most pretentious forum I'd ever encountered.

And I was scared of luka, nothing has changed.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Everyone ganging up on poor old Barty and Luka
    pffffffft
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

I read back over the "What is Deleuze?" thread - yes, all of it - the other day. Large chunks are Joe/Nomadology galloping up and down on their respective hobbyhorses (sinister power-blocs taking over the cultural sector / the merits of corporate effective altruism versus so-called revolutionary politics) while I issue numbered bullet-point explanations of why I think Badiou is worth reading, and not actually a boring authoritarian who insists that only his opinion is valid, man. Eventually the topic gets back onto Deleuze and how to read One Thousand Plateaus as a trip manual, which is probably much more the conversation Dissensus as a whole was interested in having.

Was it that thread that birthed the short-lived and extremely Dissensus-specific "libidinal goo for Badiou" meme?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I think I missed that, sadly.

Badiou's moment has very much passed, along with Zizek's, which will probably be a relief to most people. I know that luka considered the influence of capital-P "Philosophy" on k-punk to be baneful. "Theory" can be an imaginative, investigative, creative activity; "Philosophy" has dogmatic implications, a passion for rectitude, a stick up its arse. But k-punk without a certain unwavering, intimidatory sternness wouldn't have been k-punk.

At the time, yes, now less so. I was saying to Corpsey earlier today that

What are the things that make us hostile, defensive, snarling, insecure
    The things we feel threatened by and pretend our inability to engage adequately is a failing of the material and not a hang up of our own
    There's a lot at stake there, hence the violence of the reaction
    I was the same for many many years with anything that smacked of the academic because of my ambivilence around not receiving an education
    There's a sore spot there

I didn't have the ability at that time, I didn't have the reading stamina, the focus, the motivation, the attention levels, the discipline, the academic background to engage with that stuff. I had a lot of the ideas in my own way and language which is why mark used to insist I was a Deleuzeian. Having read a little of that stuff now I know what he meant.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

In my atavistic world world I tend to see splits like these as very significant, what should be a single intergrated system breaks into two inadequate pieces and communication between them becomes impossible. It's a lost opportunity. A failure. Not good.

I might have thought philosophy was a baleful influence at the time, probably I did because i was so hostile to theory. But really it was overpriveleging of a supposedly rational intellect on the one hand (the kind of Mr Spock fascism eggheads always dream of.) and the increasingly irrational shrill hysterical way that was expressed. i.e as a series of personalised attacks and denunciations this I objected to.

And I get that too. I get, have felt, that extreme frustration with other people's ability to or willingness to grasp your brilliant insight and the important message you are conveying.

and additionally, I am very close now to a lot of the positions he held then. It was a long time ago and I was younger then.

I like the what is Deleuze thread, and again, in my atavistic way, I like that you are back on dissensus because it represents, to me, a healing of that rift in as much as you are a representative of the cold rationalists, the theory mob. A correcting of that initial mistake.

The kpunk thing is really the trauma at the heart of the forum. Nothing else comes close. And obviously I payed a big part in it. After a very bad drug experience I had these paranoid visions of a world in which all his new fans came after me like villagers gathering at Draculas castle. That his collected blog book would have me as a villain (I also thought I'd killed Simon Reynolds) but then it came out and they'd merely pushed the Point it starts at forward a year or so so I don't appear at all!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I think there were a couple of occasions where random psychos offered a regular poster out. For a physical fight outside cyberspace.

Did that really happen?

Ilm remains great for finding out X music that is similar to Y that I like, but it would be an awful place to go for a chat.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.