sadmanbarty

didn't craner piss on one of woebot's guy called gerald records or something? there was a lot of discussion about it at one point. maybe on craner's top 100 thread.

Leo

I think the issue of youtube nerds vs crate diggers is a false divide really. People who were the latter have now become the former as record shops have dried up and the net has taken over.

I’m still in awe of people who travel for tunes though. It is a different kind of knowledge but the real heads who knew all about the culture were never the collectors really. If you want stories you want to talk to the dancers and people who shifted speaker boxes or whatever.

I guess my point was there are youtube nerds who never buy anything, vinyl or digital. they surf from home in place of digging in IRL (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

luka

The original conversation was mvuent a young person saying this generation of non record buying record nerds know way more than the older generation who bought records. It's interesting.

Leo

that's impossible to prove, though. I know old and young music nerds, some in each group know more and less.

firefinga

one difference from the early dissensus years: with youtube and streaming services, you don't need to collect the physical objects to be a deep record nerd. "record collectors" have their one world of crate digging, going to record fairs, dealing records, etc. now, we can be outside that entire world and compete on the same level of knowledge while in the comfort of home.

There are guys like that also on discogs. People compiling a gazillion lists of genres and whatnot. It's unlikely those guys actually own that amount of physical recordings.

john eden

male pale and stale
When Hackney Museum did that exhibition on black music in the borough I was invited along to one of the meetings they had to set it up. Predictably I was one of the few white people in the room (which is a classic crate digger thing to say).

Obviously I kept a low profile. What was interesting is that all the people there had great stories to tell about their times raving in London and the wider culture of black music. But they were a bit sketchy on details - venue names and locations, record label names, artists etc. In full nerd mode I was able to mumble the names of these things and then people would go "oh yeah! and that reminds me....".

So that very specific record collector knowledge doesn't amount to the full map of the territory on its own but in that instance it did work as a catalyst, a prompt to other people.

And of course there are problems with collector culture in terms of what gets collected (or uploaded to Youtube) and what gets forgotten.

Leo

That's a very boring answer Leo and the boring answer is always the wrong one!

my role on the board to post very boring answers. not like you flashy, big-brain types who compete to see who can ejaculate the biggest tidal wave of half-baked highfalutin balderdash. slow and steady wins the race.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There was a guy called himself Slim Jenkins, he was cool but now on faceback he's had a kind of lurch to the right and he shares these tired alt-right pictures and calls people snowflakes.

He posted this just now. It's a share from someone almost literally called "gammon".

climate_change_gammon.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember in the early blogging days I always used to get Paul Meme confused with John Eden.