Large white SUVs

catalog

Have people seen these cars around the streets of their towns and cities? So they are the big, American style, cars that all the people on the wire drive.

But in white.

The make does not seem to matter so much, there are Merc and BMW variants, but also other makes like VW or Audi.

There are literally loads around where I live. I play a game each time I'm out, spotting them, and will usually pick up at least 3 on a short trip out.

What do they mean?

luka

I haven't noticed but I bet after having read this they'll appear everywhere

luka

Grand Theft Auto does this, throws up clumps of the sane car, probably a similar principle.

luka

When I lived in Sydney white cars came to mean the psychic police. They'd apear when I was tripping and follow me around

catalog

They are a glitch in the matrix. They should be black, but are white. It's like Apple products, but now cars.

version

Around the time he began recording his final album, Smith began to display signs of paranoia, often believing that a white van followed him wherever he went.[51] He would have friends drop him off for recording sessions almost a mile away from the studio, and to reach the location, he would trudge through hundreds of yards of brush and cliffs. He started telling people that DreamWorks was out to get him: "Not long ago my house was broken into, and songs were stolen off my computer which have wound up in the hands of certain people who work at a certain label. I've also been followed around for months at a time. I wouldn't even want to necessarily say it's the people from that label who are following me around, but it was probably them who broke into my house."[25] During this period, Smith hardly ate, subsisting primarily on ice cream. He would go without sleeping for several days and then sleep for an entire day.

catalog

Good quote, that can't be mark e. Can't really think of another smith...

but these things, they're not vans. white vans have their own history and surveillance is definitely in tjere.

These things....

They are jeeps/ land rovers, but white, which is incongruous. And the edges are rounded off, softened. Saw at least 10 today in half an hour of walking. There's a variety, some are smaller, there are other colours. But the pinnacle is definitely white, big.

version

He had an 'interesting' death too.

Smith died on October 21, 2003 at the age of 34 from two stab wounds to the chest.[8] At the time of the stabbing, he was at his Lemoyne Street home in Echo Park, California,[85] where he lived with his girlfriend, Jennifer Chiba. According to Chiba, the two were arguing,[40] and she locked herself in the bathroom to take a shower.[86] Chiba heard him scream and upon opening the door saw Smith standing with a knife in his chest. She pulled the knife out, after which he collapsed and she called 9-1-1 at 12:18 pm. Smith died in the hospital with the time of death listed as 1:36 p.m.

A possible suicide note, written on a Post-it note, read: "I'm so sorry—love, Elliott. God forgive me."[8] The name "Elliott" is misspelled as "Elliot" in the coroner's report of the note, but not on the Post-it.[8] While Smith's death was reported as a suicide, the official autopsy report released in December 2003 left open the question of homicide.[8]

According to Pitchfork, record producer Larry Crane reported on his Tape Op message board that he had planned to help Smith mix his album in mid-November. Crane wrote, "I hadn't talked to Elliott in over a year. His girlfriend, Jennifer, called me [last week] and asked if I'd like to come to L.A. and help mix and finish [Smith's album]. I said 'yes, of course', and chatted with Elliott for the first time in ages. It seems surreal that he would call me to finish an album and then a week later kill himself. I talked to Jennifer this morning, who was obviously shattered and in tears, and she said, 'I don't understand, he was so healthy.'"[87]

The coroner reported that no traces of illegal substances or alcohol were found in Smith's system at the time of his death but did find prescribed levels of antidepressant, anxiolytic, and ADHD medications, including clonazepam, mirtazapine, atomoxetine, and amphetamine.[88] There were no hesitation wounds, which are typical of suicide by self-infliction.[40] Due to the inconclusive autopsy ruling, the Los Angeles Police Department's investigation remains open.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
SUV contribution to climate change is staggering. I didn't know quite how many cars sold were in this bracket - 1 in every 3 in Europe, and more elsewhere. Kind of mindblowing, as I don't really know anyone who has one...

catalog

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't get these things at all. In Lisbon they are here and you see them trying to drive down these miniature cobbled hills that are barely wide enough for a bike, struggling into spaces that would be more appropriate to one of those little smart car things. I guess fair enough if you're just passing through but if you live in Lisbon and buy one of these outsize monstrosities then you want your head examined.

catalog

I think a contributing factor here is that sense of protection. The streets are much busier now, when you ride in one of these things, you are cushioned, high up, insulated somewhat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think a contributing factor here is that sense of protection. The streets are much busier now, when you ride in one of these things, you are cushioned, high up, insulated somewhat.
But in Lisbon at least the opposite is true, you're liable to get stuck or scraped at every bend or junction.