Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: patty's melancholic conservative politics

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    I want us to collectively break out of this atmospheric cage we're stuck in. I think the only way out is through. We have to face shit as honestly as possible to move forward. In the words of mtume in his rbma lecture - 'when something's wack, call it out.' if it's shit it's shit. Boilerroom is shit. It's not even the sponsorship side that gets me so much. It's the focus being on the audience and the audience being almost always shit. Soul Train got it right. Get people in who can dance and know how to enjoy themselves. This is still possible. It'll send a much better message out to impressionable minds.
    sure, it's wack but we've called out boiler room forever now. it's boring, noone's taking notice, it's going to continue. as RZA says, whenever a door closes, we gaze so long at the closed door that we fail to see the new one open in front of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:


  3. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    it's like calling out kenny G by this point. The forcefulness of the callout has receded. it's just a cliche now. even people who play for boiler room call out boiler room.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    On the bus
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Point taken. Will try to reduce my harping.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:


  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    it's gonna be kaput in 5 years anyway. already they're struggling with financial and funding issues. I wouldn't fret about it at all. in a few decades it's just going to be remembered as one of those embarrassing fads like progressive breaks and chillstep.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5,471

    Default

    Isn't it partly because nothing new seems to have happened since Boiler Room? There isn't really anything new to rail against. It's still Google, Amazon, Facebook, Spotify, Boiler Room et al., the same lot from a decade or so ago.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Point taken. Will try to reduce my harping.

    Just share tunes! I'm sure you've got knowledge some others of us don't.

    Just, y'know, not too ECM and not too dadrock. but proper jazz/funk/soul with kickin beats, by all means I'm well into that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    hmmmm. good question that. well his new stuff is less to the point i guess, a bit deeper, i actually did like his dabblings in bassier territories, lord of 39 pounds etc. the stuff he was putting out in 1996-1997 was a bit crazy, but in terms of hitting you in the face there's not much like brown by august era that is hard as nails but still retains a chicago funk feel.
    yeah, the peacefrog stuff is bonkers. i remember buying the "m.cap" ep way back when and loving how at the end he slipped in this highly atypical loop thing:


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:


  11. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Isn't it partly because nothing new seems to have happened since Boiler Room? There isn't really anything new to rail against. It's still Google, Amazon, Facebook, Spotify, Boiler Room et al., the same lot from a decade or so ago.
    yeah but that's just asking for it isn't it. you're like saying, please sell me something I can get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:


  13. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    yeah, the peacefrog stuff is bonkers. i remember buying the "m.cap" ep way back when and loving how at the end he slipped in this highly atypical loop thing:

    yeah it was actually quite a good time for all that no skool/edinburgh/ugly funk techno sound. Jerome Hill was one of the djs who got me into techno properly, after the obligatory classics obvs.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  14. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    On the bus
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    yeah but that's just asking for it isn't it. you're like saying, please sell me something I can get into.
    Whats a better request to make? Or action to take?
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

  15. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    I get the feeling that with the internet that we're in this limbo where it's revolutionised music consumption and access to music, and it's day 1 after the revolution. so what do we do now. and i just think, maybe the thing is to just let things flow rather than force a template necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:


  17. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Whats a better request to make? Or action to take?
    take a long duration view of music with peaks and ebs. you said it yourself. people sing songs that are 300 years old in Morocco or whatever. yet when that's the case here with people listening to 30 year old jungle records, everyone gets jaded. it really confuses me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:


  19. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    you can't have revolutions in music without the slow, tedious painstaking evolution of music that the sudden cataclysmic rupture breaks from. I feel like we're in that pretty incrimental, evolutionary stage now. we have to wait for the bomb to drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  20. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    think of the major revolutions in dance music for instance.

    acid house: accident.
    bleeps and bass: accident.
    92 chipmunk ardkore: accident.
    darkside: fucking about, accident.
    2step: accident from house.
    dark garage: accident from garage.
    grime: accident from 2step.

    etc etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

  21. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    yeah but that's just asking for it isn't it. you're like saying, please sell me something I can get into.
    Fair point.

    Likewise the following.

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    I get the feeling that with the internet that we're in this limbo where it's revolutionised music consumption and access to music, and it's day 1 after the revolution. so what do we do now. and i just think, maybe the thing is to just let things flow rather than force a template necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    take a long duration view of music with peaks and ebs. you said it yourself. people sing songs that are 300 years old in Morocco or whatever. yet when that's the case here with people listening to 30 year old jungle records, everyone gets jaded. it really confuses me.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •