Alien

luka

Just stop listening to music for a few years then go back and see what you've missed

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sounds like dubstep mate. Plodding dirge music for sulky stoners.

94 onwards jungle was relatively like that compared to hardcore as well, you just ignore it because its inconvenient. where's the cd2 of your greatest hits. bored of cd1.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also 2step was way more mellow than jeff mills if we're being real, thankfully that's no longer my greatest hit. gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies. blissblogger even saw mills in 1999. said it was like having lightning injected into him or something like that. whether he found it exhausting is another matter but...

other_life

bioconfused
to be on topic i'm quite taken w how physical and insistently bounce this one feels but it does just Shuffle About and not have real forward momentum, this is the first thing they put out 12 years ago so not super New
if its not clear by now i dont really know dick about dance music so naming something to compare this w is currently out of depth

other_life

bioconfused
this bit third posted earlier feels like its made of the same stuff but goes places. phylyps trak feels like its made of the same stuff but goes sideways, or rolling like a huge empty can down a hill
is there a name for this specific style btw? something i can dig for by searching for that specific tag?

chava

This brings me such nostalgic 90s tech melancholic vibes that it makes me tear up. Gesloten Cirkel however is a completely different beast despite also running a retro electro vibe his stuff is much idiosyncratic and a true auteur which is what we need. Enough of that scenius bs. Ilian Tape is a decent label, still and can make the moody boys dance a little bit more than usual.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

FINALLY some decent tunes in this thread!

Nah but seriously I quite like some of this stuff. Obviously luka is bound to hate it, it's too ponderous.

Probably if I was 23 again I'd be buying these records and smoking massive skunky spliffs while mixing them in my room.

luka

It's the plodders continuum. You experts should trace the lineage. It's like steppers, but morose and sulky.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is what you're talking about something rhythmic or something atmospheric, do you think?

Is it a stiffness in the beats or is it the sounds, or what?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think I hear what you mean, the beats are very aggressive without any bounce to them, they're quite metronomic and punishing and stiff (despite the breakbeats).

And yet simultaneously the sounds overlaid are drenched in reverb and "subtleties". As if its softening the edges.