Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vantablack

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    A quite liked A Field in England, it's definitely a bit of a mess and very studenty though. I'd say that and Down Terrace are his best, Kill List has its moments and I wasn't into Sightseers and High-Rise.
    High rise was an abomination. Really very annoyed with that one. It was so bad it was inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    High rise was an abomination. Really very annoyed with that one. It was so bad it was inspiring.
    Yeah, I watched it with a few mates and we all thought it was shit. One of the worst films I've ever seen.

Its a terrible waste of a Ballard adaptation but by Wheatlys standards I thought that one was alright.

I just hated how it became very hysterical towards the end. Felt like a disservice to the book (not that I've read it).

High rise had that 1970s fancy dress thing that has been rife ever since beastie boys did that sabotage video. I hate it. That's why k refused to watch that Pynchon adaptation. Stick on sideburns, massive flares

Remembered the name now, inherent vice. Stupid book anyway

Yeah, was gonna say. You said you thought the book was crap anyway so dunno why you'd wanna see it in the first place.

I enjoyed inherent vice (not read it). It sort of petered out but had some good bits. I like Joaquin phoenix

I didn't like the book when I first read it, but reread it a few months ago and really into it now. The film I liked straight away and watched twice in a couple of days.

I'd read more Pynchon and seen the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Also it's pretty easy to scientifically and objectively define perfect blackness. Perfect pinkness, not so much.
    What's the objective definition of perfect blackness? Just a complete absence of light?

I read a little about Goethe's theory of colours a while back. Apparently he was way off on a lot of it, but interesting in places nonetheless. He seemed to think that darkness wasn't an absence of light, but some polar opposite which worked on light the way light worked on it: blue being darkness exposed to a bit of light, yellow being light exposed to a bit of darkness.

I think Pynchon has a tendency towards the whacky but his natural talent and taste prevent him indulging it...except in Inherent Vice his whackiest and worst book. Except Bleeding Edge which is boring - the worst sin.