Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vantablack

That's why the film is more faithful than most Pynchon adaptations can hope to be... and still shit.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    What's the objective definition of perfect blackness? Just a complete absence of light?
    Absorption of all energy at all wavelengths.

The surface of the sun is, in fact, almost perfectly black. It just happens to be glowing white hot.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Psssh, how would you know? It's fucking miles away

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I read a little about Goethe's theory of colours a while back. Apparently he was way off on a lot of it, but interesting in places nonetheless. He seemed to think that darkness wasn't an absence of light, but some polar opposite which worked on light the way light worked on it: blue being darkness exposed to a bit of light, yellow being light exposed to a bit of darkness.
    Sounds like an inspiration for de Selby in The Third Policeman.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Goethe was interested in synaesthesia too, the meaning of colours. His last words were "Mehr lecht", more light.

So, what sound is vantablack? Dread bass?

Vantablack is made about 5 miles from where I'm sitting, I wonder if they have a factory outlet?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    So, what sound is vantablack?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I just hated how it became very hysterical towards the end. Felt like a disservice to the book (not that I've read it).
    Brilliant comment. I haven't read it either I don't think and I bet the film is a disservice... I can't really remember much about it to be honest, not exactly a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Brilliant comment. I haven't read it either I don't think and I bet the film is a disservice... I can't really remember much about it to be honest, not exactly a good sign.
    Thanks.

I mean, I've read enough Ballard to know that the ending was all screwed up. It actually made me so angry that I vowed to read it, but then couldn't get hold of a copy for a while. I was going on a long plane journey and thought it would be good for that. Not having it was actually really helpful though, cos it made me imagine some other stuff.

Still not read it, and my anger has passed. But maybe I should. I did manage to get hold of 'the drowned world' instead, and read that instead (excellent). I think it's a similar period in terms of when he was writing. and the ending of that is far less bombastic. I mean, there's a bombast, but then the actual ending is much more ambiguous and unsettling. I think that's a key thing with ballard - he can do high stakes, bravura drama, but it's definitely not what he's about. so the film really felt like a pisstake.

Yeah sure, that wasn't meant to be a pisstake, hope it didn't come across that way.

no, not at all.

Cool cool... you never know on these things. Probably when I do wanna take the piss it comes across as a compliment or something...

Goes back at least as far as Yves Klein who patented his shade of "International Klein Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Goethe was interested in synaesthesia too, the meaning of colours. His last words were "Mehr lecht", more light.
    Is this one of those things that sounds profound now, but he was actually asking them to open the curtains or something?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post: