Political Samples

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I have that 2cd, listened to it for months before realizing that it's essentially slightly remixed variations of the same track over and over. not saying that's a bad thing, I like the album, but it's all pretty much one track repeated. some parts drop out on one version, other parts gently pumped up on another, layered with different samples.

maybe I'm imagining it, but it sure sounds the same. and good.

haha i think you're right. i pretty much just stick pigs and chumps (sprinkles overdubs) on.

oh snap, did not know this was out https://www.discogs.com/Will-Long-Long-Trax-2/master/1335468

anyone heard it?

martin

----
Actually, this one's good - polizei appeal for info on RAF fugitives

Class War's Ian Bone getting in practice for doorstepping Rees-Mogg

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Listening to that autechre mixlr from the other day made me realise that I actually don't care too much what the voice is saying. But if the tone and delivery is cool and you lay it over some dope beats it really heightens the experience.

catalog

Listening to that autechre mixlr from the other day made me realise that I actually don't care too much what the voice is saying. But if the tone and delivery is cool and you lay it over some dope beats it really heightens the experience.

Oh yeah this reminds me... What about all the political samples that PE used. 'Rebel without a pause' has that great snap of voice at the very beginning, 'brothers and sisters, I don't know what this world is coming to....'

One of the early long Autechre mixes had that time, with a lot of good noise over the top.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Oh yeah this reminds me... What about all the political samples that PE used. 'Rebel without a pause' has that great snap of voice at the very beginning, 'brothers and sisters, I don't know what this world is coming to....'

One of the early long Autechre mixes had that time, with a lot of good noise over the top.

It's taken from Wattstax, a film of a music festival put on by Stax records in memory of the Watts riots. A bunch of famous samples throughout it.

Guess who else used that sample:

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Last edited:

version

Tamika Mallory’s words on Hood’s "The Struggle" are lifted from her Minneapolis speech in May this year which went viral amidst the Black Lives Matter protests. The vocals deployed by Robert and Lyric Hood as Floorplan on “Save The Children” are cut from Stan Lathan’s 1973 documentary of the same name, which features a ready-to-use collage of speakers from a historic concert at Jesse Jackson’s PUSH expo. Over five days and nights, the most important voices in Black music, politics and culture at the time brought one million people together in Chicago to celebrate Black art and unity.

william_kent

I can think of a couple of unfortunate examples, the first being German Oak's eponymous album where the guy who originally put it out thought it would be a great idea to speed the tracks up, overdub some Nazi speeches over the teutonic funkadelia, and give the tracks names like 1945 - Out Of The Ashes. The band managed to get the speeches removed, the speed corrected, and the tracks renamed when it was reissued a few years ago.

The second example is Masahiko Satoh & Soundbreakers' ‎Amalgamation, a Japanese free jazz psychedelic freakout album from 1971 which inexplicably features tapes of Adolf Hitler ranting.. it would be a great album but, well, you know, the vocals...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah is that right? I have a repress of that German Oak one somewhere but never knew that saga.
This is a track which I liked when I first heard it but I was worried that there was some kinda of dodgy Hitler youth thing in the vocal bit, but apparently not. Phew.

william_kent

Ah is that right? I have a repress of that German Oak one somewhere but never knew that saga.
This is a track which I liked when I first heard it but I was worried that there was some kinda of dodgy Hitler youth thing in the vocal bit, but apparently not. Phew.

That one is quite "martial"!

I first heard the German Oak album in it's politically incorrect form on a slsk rip, but even then I was a bit dubious about the whole backstory - recorded in a bunker in 1972, etc., but if it did originally come out in the 70s then again it wouldn't surprise me, the older I get the more I realise that I know less about music than I thought I did

polystyle

it's an industrial culture thing isn't it - i think Cabaret Voltaire were one of the first, using televangelists taped of the TV while on their first tour of America

but here not in a overbearing way, very subtle and effective I think

probably there's earlier examples in pop or rock but i can't think of them offhand

by the time we could finally check out one Richard Kirk ( @ Atonal 2014 ) ,
looked like he was still using these videos !