Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laughter

Default Laughter

What is it? Where does it come from? Why's it so difficult to control? What's its function? Why does it feel good? Why's it so infectious? Why can't you fake it?

Laughter, unlike speech, still sounds like laughter when recorded and played in reverse

I feel like I'm in The Black Lodge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Nervous laughter and smiling is a strange one. For some reason it can be really funny if someone's deadly serious.

the best is when you're not allowed to laugh, let's say in a class room, or in the office during a meeting. the suppression makes the urge even bigger.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

I have a great memory of being in assembly at school and a mate in the row in front turning round when everyone was silent and going "Boys. Boys. Boys!" then doing a stupidly loud fart. A few of the teachers stood to the side were shushing us, some of them were trying not to laugh and it fucking stank too so like three rows of us were all bright red, coughing, eyes watering, desperately trying not to laugh.

Halcyon days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

In social situations it's very rare for people to actually laugh at something funny, it's a kind of social lubrication.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

trump never laughs. think about it, he never does.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Top 5 things to do
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    the best is when you're not allowed to laugh, let's say in a class room, or in the office during a meeting. the suppression makes the urge even bigger.
    This is a universal human truth.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    In social situations it's very rare for people to actually laugh at something funny, it's a kind of social lubrication.
    So true. Confluence, innit. Is the laughter in the eyes or not? Social lubrication, forming bonds, and/or often avoidance of feeling. Many a tragic tale is told as comedy.

What I can't tell is how culturally determined this is. It seems to exist in most cultures I've seen.

Few things more disgusting than watching work colleagues outside the pubs after work doing that laugh, hahahahah, why am I drinking with these cunts I spend all week with in that fucking office that I hate hahahahaha

"What makes human beings laugh? Not just gaiety or irony. That laughter banishes seriousness is a misconception often made by the humourless - and by that far greater multitude, the hard of laughing, the humorously impaired or under-gifted. Human beings laugh, if you notice, to express relief, exasperation, stoicism, hysteria, embarassment, disgust and cruelty."
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Few things more disgusting than watching work colleagues outside the pubs after work doing that laugh, hahahahah, why am I drinking with these cunts I spend all week with in that fucking office that I hate hahahahaha
    Misanthropic luka, best luka!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post: