Jai Paul

version

I dunno whether anyone noticed, but he popped up again a few months ago after disappearing for years. Always liked his sound, like some squashed and buried blend of Prince, Phil Collins and Arthur Russell. Very 80s.

catalog

I like him, like that whole album ('bait ones'). But the best song by a mile is that first one, btstu. Not really feeling the newer singles so much tho. Incredible talent.

catalog

You might like symrun, he's a different vibe and not quite as 'wow' but still very good

I feel like jai Paul must've been an influence.

I really like Gatefield instrumental.

Also good how it's a very short album.

Could've posted this in the conceptronica thread tbh,

version

You might like symrun, he's a different vibe and not quite as 'wow' but still very good

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's a bit less accomplished and much more indebted to trap and stuff, but similar sort of ramshackle approach and mood.

"Debuting on TT, Symrun’s debut mixtape Care Work presents a ten-track vision of digital melancholia, determination and personal rapture. Released with an accompanying booklet outlining its broad musical (and internet- heavy) influences, the tape is designed with the isolated laptop listener in mind."

The internet/laptop as venue again.