Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost Highway (1997)

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    He's never struck me as that cynical. Every interview I've seen with him he's always come across as incredibly earnest and almost oblivious to how other people view what he does.
    I didn't mean it in a cynical way from his perspective. He's just doing him. To give the audience what they want would not be being him. Giving them what he thinks they need would be him, and my guess is he would think they need the opposite of what they want. Buuut I wonder if he took it a bit too far and it suffered because of that. He was reluctant to even start the project in the beginning. He didn't want to simply bring us back to the OG world. So imo somewhere in and around all this I could imagine him thinking the best course of action would be to invert the TP world and make Cooper weak and annoying, for eg. This could be all total bollocks ofc. But don't take the simple/innocent persona you see when he's in interviews as the only dimension to him.

Did you lot ever see Pretty as a Picture?

Worth your time. I love the bit where he's painting with meat.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

It's funny he started out as a painter, that's what he really wanted to be, but his paintings are pretty awful.
    They're really good actually. And his prints. Particularly the black and white lithos. I went to the exhibition in MCR a couple of times. I really like how he uses text and a lot of browns.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    They're really good actually. And his prints. Particularly the black and white lithos. I went to the exhibition in MCR a couple of times. I really like how he uses text and a lot of browns.
    Maybe they've a bit more about them in person, I'm not into any of the ones I've seen online and in books.

Maybe they've a bit more about them in person, I'm not into any of the ones I've seen online and in books.
    Yeah deffo. The really crude outsidery ones are huge and very 3D, with all sorts of different materials, colours, textures. And the b&w ones are just great one shot ideas. He's even done a few watercolours, using mainly black.

There's a definite continuity between his art and his films. Like a lot of the art is very in keeping with Eraserhead. And I love how he uses a lot of text alongside the visual.

I love lost highway, it's the most rewatchable one for me. But all time fave gotta be Eraserhead, spesh on a big screen when yr off yr box. Or Inland empire, tho I did fall asleep the last time I watched it.