Lost Highway (1997)

version

The theory that the symbol for "Judy" in the third season is the FBI crest flipped upside down intrigued me.

7on5woa5y4nz.jpg

Last edited:

version

Season 3 to me felt like a guy who was playing with the expectations of his audience who were all begging for a follow up. Thinking of it as a continuation of the OG (which is one of my top 3 TV series ever) didn't work. As a self contained thing it was interesting but idk if I'll be rewatching anytime soon. The OG I can watch whenever.

It felt very different, different even to Fire Walk with Me and his later stuff. I mostly remember it as a series of moments rather than a full TV series too. It was so strangely paced, so many loose ends - what the fuck was going on with Jerry Horne and his foot in the woods?

version

It's moments that really stick with Lynch anyway, imo, what with all the 'dream logic' in his stuff. He just has a knack for coming up with very powerful images, like the way the dealer gets his head stuck on the glass table in Lost Highway at that weird angle.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I think he was fucking with us. Making sure to give us the opposite of what we wanted in true artist with integrity style. But maybe he cut his nose off to spite his face? That's just my own interpretation

version

He's never struck me as that cynical. Every interview I've seen with him he's always come across as incredibly earnest and almost oblivious to how other people view what he does.

version

It's funny he started out as a painter, that's what he really wanted to be, but his paintings are pretty awful.

muser

It's moments that really stick with Lynch anyway, imo, what with all the 'dream logic' in his stuff. He just has a knack for coming up with very powerful images, like the way the dealer gets his head stuck on the glass table in Lost Highway at that weird angle.

Very true, and allot of it is as you say quite subtle things which make it more surreal and vivid in the mind. On other end of the scale this scene always stuck in my mind for it's absurd surrealism, not even sure if it's intentional, Lynch trying to do comedy.

version

The actor who played Andy was just some guy Lynch had as a driver for an event. He seems to meet people and have these instantaneous responses where he has to cast them in something.

Last edited:

other_life

bioconfused
He's never struck me as that cynical. Every interview I've seen with him he's always come across as incredibly earnest and almost oblivious to how other people view what he does.

transcendental meditation and 'mitts off r money', though.
he has like one trick and it's 'subtle wrongness'

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

I didn't mean it in a cynical way from his perspective. He's just doing him. To give the audience what they want would not be being him. Giving them what he thinks they need would be him, and my guess is he would think they need the opposite of what they want. Buuut I wonder if he took it a bit too far and it suffered because of that. He was reluctant to even start the project in the beginning. He didn't want to simply bring us back to the OG world. So imo somewhere in and around all this I could imagine him thinking the best course of action would be to invert the TP world and make Cooper weak and annoying, for eg. This could be all total bollocks ofc. But don't take the simple/innocent persona you see when he's in interviews as the only dimension to him.

Did you lot ever see Pretty as a Picture?

Worth your time. I love the bit where he's painting with meat.

catalog

It's funny he started out as a painter, that's what he really wanted to be, but his paintings are pretty awful.

They're really good actually. And his prints. Particularly the black and white lithos. I went to the exhibition in MCR a couple of times. I really like how he uses text and a lot of browns.

version

They're really good actually. And his prints. Particularly the black and white lithos. I went to the exhibition in MCR a couple of times. I really like how he uses text and a lot of browns.

Maybe they've a bit more about them in person, I'm not into any of the ones I've seen online and in books.

catalog

Maybe they've a bit more about them in person, I'm not into any of the ones I've seen online and in books.

Yeah deffo. The really crude outsidery ones are huge and very 3D, with all sorts of different materials, colours, textures. And the b&w ones are just great one shot ideas. He's even done a few watercolours, using mainly black.

There's a definite continuity between his art and his films. Like a lot of the art is very in keeping with Eraserhead. And I love how he uses a lot of text alongside the visual.

I love lost highway, it's the most rewatchable one for me. But all time fave gotta be Eraserhead, spesh on a big screen when yr off yr box. Or Inland empire, tho I did fall asleep the last time I watched it.