Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Highway (1997)

Default Lost Highway (1997)

Mulholland Dr.'s possibly an improvement and doesn't have all the nu metal that can take you out of the film, but there's something about the video tapes and impossible layout of the house, the highway sequence with the Bowie song, the Mystery Man, the use of smoke, that sax solo, the structure etc that just gets me. I'm convinced Haneke must have seen it and run with the tape thing from the start when he came to write Caché.

The nod to Kiss Me Deadly with the exploding and reassembling shack at the end is a great image too.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    »a car speeding along a dark motorway lit only by the car’s headlamps, with the tarmac hurtling by in the windscreen. It’s a modern version of the monad, with the windscreen playing the part of a small illuminated area … The move towards replacing the system of a window and a world outside with one of a computer screen in a closed room is something that’s taking place in our social life: we read the world more than we see it«

Someone showed me the first Mystery Man scene when I was a teenager and it threw my whole night off. I just kept thinking about it, particularly when I was walking home on my own in the dark.

I think it might be better. The first time I watched mulholland drive I loved it, second it seemed a bit stupid.

Lynch films definitely do bewitch the walk home from the cinema in the dark. People start appearing out of dark doorways and giving you significant looks

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It's the subtle wrongness that really sells it, imo. Willem Dafoe's gums in Wild at Heart, the way people just stare or pause for too long when they're talking, phones ringing with a spotlight on them.

Cocaine Craner has nothing but flinty contempt for David lynch

I didn't like Eraserhead and Inland Empire but I rate everything else I've seen. That scene with Dean Stockwell doing Roy Orbison in Blue Velvet is one of those that has some magical quality to it. I can watch it over and over.

Did you watch all of the third season of Twin Peaks, luka?

Yeah. Were you on here while that was screening?

Nah. Did you have a thread on it?

Me and tea were the only ones who watched. We talked about it. Not sure it had its own thread

Were either of you into any of it?

Lost Highway
    Mulholland Drive
    Blue Velvet

That's like the Grand Slam.

and there is also this: