Tony Mansfield/New Musik/Planet Ha Ha

IdleRich

IdleRich
The other day my girlfriend got this record from a French label with this one cool song about ET on it, some research shows it's a slightly different version of this track that the guy has obviously sneakily bootlegged. I love the weird lyrics that could only be sung with such conviction by a child but which clearly weren't written by a child.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway, turns out this band with their name which sounds like some random words written down by a crazy person are an offshoot of New Musik which somehow I've missed until now even though they had top forty hits and stuff. This one is just so perfect, the clothes, the seriousnes, the freaky Jagger-alike on keys, everything... and the child's voice at the end adding that extra note of sincerity.

Any fans or tips or anything? Am I really late missing these or are they truly obscure.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was thinking Daniel Miller or Buggles or Robert Rental perhaps... but I do get where you're coming from.

luka

Bobby Bistro is some weird stalker I dunno who that is. I know Bisto but not Bistro.

blissblogger

they were quite big. seem to remember them on Top of the Pops a bunch of times. several medium-size hits.

the early evening Radio One deejays liked them (perhaps that doesn't signify to the youngers - the deejays were cautiously hip but not Peel)

at the time I thought of them as a bit wet and milky-sounding

like they'd probably have been Supertramp if New Wave hadn't come along and they'd adjusted their approach accordingly

or like Howard Jones a couple of years too soon

but now - like so much - has a nostalgic appeal - evocative of those homework evenings

IdleRich

IdleRich
they were quite big. seem to remember them on Top of the Pops a bunch of times. several medium-size hits.
the early evening Radio One deejays liked them (perhaps that doesn't signify to the youngers - the deejays were cautiously hip but not Peel)
at the time I thought of them as a bit wet and milky-sounding
like they'd probably have been Supertramp if New Wave hadn't come along and they'd adjusted their approach accordingly
or like Howard Jones a couple of years too soon
but now - like so much - has a nostalgic appeal - evocative of those homework evenings
But nothing more than nostalgia really? I think there is something nicely wrong about them... seems he went on to produce sone mire successful bands.