Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Procrastination

Default Procrastination

Doing absolutely ANYTHING to avoid doing the thing you SHOULD be doing.

Even if what you should be doing is making a single five minute phone call, or buying some stamps, or something.

Isn't it awful?
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I've been thinking about this today. It is awful.

It feels like there's a very heavy object to be lifted.

By experience, you know that the object isn't as heavy as you think it will be.

But still, you'd rather not lift it until you HAVE to.

I'll get round to answering this a bit later

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I think there are various possible factors going on - certainly fear of failure, certainly a resistance to authoritarianism/the spectre of being told what to do (especially if that has been figural in one's early life), creating false drama by leaving things until the last minute to alleviate a sense of boredom, etc.

And also, as you say, a misunderstanding of the emotional or other load that the task will take, which is probably a habit that has an interrogable history.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I really really didn't want to do that gag but the situation forced me into it. My hands were tied.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I was going to do it, but put it off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I invented a theory that said dawdling is a way for a child to resist parental authority. A go slow. Andvthe habit is retained even once the super ego replaces the parent as ultimate hectoring authority

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Definitely - a child has to resist in order to establish separate personhood. And if it doesn't, some part of development will not be fully undergone.

Interesting what happens with non-hectoring parents. Do their offspring become super-organised and functional, immune to all but the most fleeting procrastination? I don't know many people with parents like that.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 21-10-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Also sometimes if you don't get around to trying something you can at least pretend that it might have worked out well. The seduction of the wistful.

I find it insane though how ANYTHING compulsory is something I avoid. Not even things that are scary or particularly hard.

I'm talking paying bills. Months of delay. Then I do it and it takes five minutes.

funny to think how I'll sometimes do a dozen other unimportant/meaningless things while I'm avoiding doing the thing that should be done. it's not as if I'm too busy and don't have time to do the thing that should be done, because I'm doing other (usually less important) stuff instead.

I know I should replace the batteries in the apartment smoke detector to save us from potentially burning to death in our sleep, but instead will goof off on dissensus for another hour.

I do it a lot. The way I legitimize it in my head, it's like I don't think of future me as the same person. Like, the consequences of my inaction will fall on some stranger, but not me. Obviously it's just some sort of cognitive bias, focusing on short term effects.

I have no problem doing things for others that I can't be arsed to do for my self. Unless they expect me to do it for them, then I'll put it off.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    I have no problem doing things for others that I can't be arsed to do for my self. Unless they expect me to do it for them, then I'll put it off.
    This girl I knew who grew up on a farm told me you can never push a pig. They always push back. So if you want it go somewhere you have to entice it/make it want the thing.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule