Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do aesthetics map to politics?

Default Do aesthetics map to politics?

It's the SS uniforms vs. Tie Dye trousers thread.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Politics doesn't exist. The differences are more basic and fundamental.

Luka's whole moral map of the world is essentially aesthetic. Fat-bottomed Tories in plum corduroy vs scratchy-jumper perverts - which side are you on?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

It's more that i think everything us connected. It's a joined up world view

Your personality - your interest in discipline, for example, and how that tracks to aesthetics and politics.

I see what Luka's saying, it's too simplistic to directly link the two. Still, I'm nothing if not simplistic.

A balance of extremes, one way of viewing the aesthetic project. Synthesis.

In software we often fall into using aesthetic terms - "elegant", "clumsy", "clean", "smelly", "tangled", "clear" - to describe properties of a codebase that please or displease us, that we feel good or bad about. We don't see software itself as an aesthetic object, a work of art, but we convey technical value judgements which might be difficult to justify in detail via this sort of terminology.

The theory that people's political leanings are just proxies for their deep-down yucks and yums isn't quite right, I think. it's more that we have intuitions about what's good and bad in social organisation and public life that would be onerous to justify in detail, and resort to the language of yucks and yums to convey those intuitions. The real value judgements involved are quite conflicted and contradictory, and making them explicit would involve tremendous work.

Yes they are pre-verbal 'knowings' pre verbal aversions, pre verbal desires, completely impervious to rationality, whatever rationality means. It's not that they are aesthetic judgments but that they exist as part of the same complex structure built on top of some very basic foundations.

How we make discriminations, judgements, what is just enough, what is too much, how taut we pull the line

It's no big secret that this thread is a spin on my old quest to understand why hippy art is so eyebleedingly awful.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

And your abiding love for nazi uniforms. ..

I like the line pulled fairly taut. I like tension. I prefer to exist in a state of tension. Hippies like it slack.

When a Tory likes jazz, I assumethat means that they like Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, et al. When a Commie likes jazz I expect they like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman.

But I might be wrong!

"Ken Clarke and Soweto Kinch discuss the relationship between two jazz pioneers (Charlie Parker and Miles Davis)."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I'll post some photos of hippy poetry when I get back from work

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    It's no big secret that this thread is a spin on my old quest to understand why hippy art is so eyebleedingly awful.
    Is it partly because much of it involves no-budget, low tech failed attempts to represent the impossible shifting geometry of psychedelic vision, and it's spurned out into a sometimes quite non-judgmental environment (not enough constructive feedback, the discipline that would be enforced by hierarchy or cash incentive)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    And your abiding love for nazi uniforms. ..

I like the line pulled fairly taut. I like tension. I prefer to exist in a state of tension. Hippies like it slack.
    See this is good, you're turning my shit thread idea into something gooder.

When you work in a 'public facing role' for any length of timd you soon learn you can determine everything about a person at a single glance from taste in music to political orientation.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: