BI££IONAIR€$

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
China's had the most dollar billionaires for a few years now, too.

Perhaps not totally shocking, seeing as China has rich people and poor people like anywhere else and also simply has the most people, full stop. But it does seem somewhat at odds with their projected image as a """communist""" country.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
They managed to blend communism with capitalism pretty well. Pulled most of the country out of poverty that way. Pretty impressive

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
This is interesting, on WeWork and hence by extension the unicorn startup bubble:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/newsletters/2019-10-23/money-stuff-how-do-you-like-we-now
"I don’t mean to speak for Neumann’s subjective experience of his WeWork career, but from the outside, in hindsight, objectively, one could describe it like this: He spotted a bubble in venture-subsidized fast-growing money-losing capital-intensive low-margin tech-adjacent companies, noticed in particular that SoftBank seemed to be on the long side of that bubble, and set himself up to profit on the other side..."

luka

I've worked in a few weworks. One of them owes me money. It was fascinating for me to see inside. It's a future I'd usually be locked out of.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The start up world is actually where I'll be working in (or at least with) about two weeks from now. I'll report back if I'm a billionaire by Christmas.

luka

They've got posh coffee and posh baristas that you don't have to pay and in the afternoon and onwards you can pour yourself free pints

luka

Everyone's young and cheerful albeit there's some background anxiety about whether any of this stuff is actually real

luka

Healthy, plump cheeked, multicultural, outgoing, but all drinking the same kool aid

luka

The Mexican stuff, the drug stuff, patty was talking about recently is very relevant to this thread too, again it's nation states outmuscled by private wealth

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Poetry-as-a-Service. We can have an app. "When you think about it, poetry is the original social network..."

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
"For years, startups have been trying to re-invent methods for people to satisfy their basic daily needs - food, work, transport, shelter. But what about peoples' deeper and more spiritual need - the need for meaning. What about Art? Music? Poetry?

That's why we founded Stanzr."

luka

I'm surprised none of the bright eyed bushy tailed young things at wework have tapped me up yet. It's an obvious money spinner

luka

Woops got a corporate gig to write poetry and it turned out to be (they hadn't warned him) themed as a competition against an algorithm. He didn't tell me who won.