luka

It's not all that right wing but it is basically bonkers. He's got an obsession with Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins. Most of his conspiracies theories revolve round her. He thinks she was possessed by some spirt or other. Demented really. There is a really good visual essay on there though about the dome and obelisk conjunction.

version

Did Spengler think the Ceasar would be competent and a good leader or just that someone would come along and wield that kind of power?

version

I was watching something the other day with Dawkins going on about cargo cults. He said when you look at stuff like that and Scientology and Mormonism, it's not hard to see how the first religions took root. They're such young belief systems that you can quickly go back to the start and see how something like that develops.

Scientology in particular I just find bizarre. It's so clearly bullshit yet seemingly sane adults continually fall for it hook, line and sinker. I can't work out what they're doing to them. Whether they're blackmailing people or taking them hostage or really just that convincing. There was a bloke in that Louis Theroux doc who claimed to have spent something like 50k on books and whatnot whilst in the grips of it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I do wonder what percentage of the rich and famous who get involved in Scientology actually fall for the third-rate science-fiction premise, and what percentage do it just because the think it'll help them connect with the right people and therefore benefit their career (and thereby get even more rich and famous).

Perhaps some join for purely cynical reasons but end up finding it so lucrative that they eventually come round to thinking "Well there must be something to it..." - or maybe their brainwashing techniques really are that effective?

version

There are ordinary people who fall into it too though. That guy I was on about who spent 50k on it was just some random. Perhaps they convince those people they can make them rich and famous like the celebrities in the organisation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are ordinary people who fall into it too though. That guy I was on about who spent 50k on it was just some random. Perhaps they convince those people they can make them rich and famous like the celebrities in the organisation.

Well there also straight-up chumps, I guess.

version

Just looking up Ghostbusters quotes now and he actually says this,

"Could be race memory stored in the collective unconscious."

:unsure: