Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: abolishing the album, the scene and the genre

Default abolishing the album, the scene and the genre

it's hard work isn't it? going through shitloads of insert narritive/genre of your choice to find the good stuff. labour intensive. brings a new definition to hardcore only for the headstrong. makes you realise how despite how senius everything is ultimately a lot of the big choices are made by selectors, who are not impartial judges.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I'm talking separate to completist record collecting (I.E: every pressing of sgt pepper) or anything rare = good.
    I respect islamists

obviously there are positives and negatives to this. the positive is that rockism is dying, the negative is that short of dedication the tyranny of consensus taste remains. and anyone who is against art must also oppose democracy as democracy is justthe flipside to Mussolini.

the biggest future positive (though most definitely not at the moment) is that scenes are finally disappearing. I never liked scenes and especially loathed the eclectic scene which defined itself in opposition to non-eclectic scenes. did metalheadz gentrify jungle? who the fuck cares when you've got thousands of tunes not on mh to discover?
    Last edited by thirdform; 25-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    I respect islamists

Yes of course this has already happened

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Yes of course this has already happened
    So why are we discussing the middlebrow then? it's not really relevant is it now? A 90s thing.
    I respect islamists

Consensus seems to be slipping away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Consensus seems to be slipping away.

hopefully. too much worship your elders killed music in the 2010s. 2020s might be a truly internet music decade.
    I respect islamists

those born after 1999-2000 who will be making music in the 2020s won't even remember anything resembling a scene. we do. just a bit too early.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    So why are we discussing the middlebrow then? it's not really relevant is it now? A 90s thing.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What?
    why aren't our frequencies connecting these days? you used to be able to follow my stream of conscious train of thought lol.
    I respect islamists

Those review aggregation sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are really highlighting the distance between critical and audience reception.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    hopefully. too much worship your elders killed music in the 2010s. 2020s might be a truly internet music decade.
    Also, weed.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

building a brand is largely about packaging, and scenes are nothing if not packaging. they take somewhat overlapping but sometimes disparate artists under an umbrella and make it easier for music (or art or writing) fans to identify and explore.

there's just too much competition out there for many artists to be heard without some form of scenes, you'd have a bandcamp world where 10,000+ artists exist but you have no signposts for where to look. I'm sure I've found some great things I'd never hear otherwise if I didn't know the artist was a kindred spirit with another artist I like, etc.

as you say, there's positive and negative, but scenes can be very helpful in navigating. not everyone has the time or energy to explore an unmapped world. the good part is you can ignore scenes if you want, pretend they don't exist and try to wade through on your own. everyone wins!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    building a brand is largely about packaging, and scenes are nothing if not packaging. they take somewhat overlapping but sometimes disparate artists under an umbrella and make it easier for music (or art or writing) fans to identify and explore.

there's just too much competition out there for many artists to be heard without some form of scenes, you'd have a bandcamp world where 10,000+ artists exist but you have no signposts for where to look. I'm sure I've found some great things I'd never hear otherwise if I didn't know the artist was a kindred spirit with another artist I like, etc.

as you say, there's positive and negative, but scenes can be very helpful in navigating. not everyone has the time or energy to explore an unmapped world. the good part is you can ignore scenes if you want, pretend they don't exist and try to wade through on your own. everyone wins!
    This is almost the quintessential American move, to confuse a social happening with a commercial one

tbf the quintessential British move is to not acknowledge that we live in a commodity society, even when a scene isn't releasing albums for the mainstream market.

All our loved genres were products of advanced commercial capitalism, as you said to Padraig the other week.
    I respect islamists