Thread: Burn the Soothsayers! Kill the Storytellers!

Default Burn the Soothsayers! Kill the Storytellers!

There's a lot of talk of 'narratives' these days, particularly when it comes to politics, and it's often quite jarring to have one crumble before your eyes, so my question(s) is: how helpful do you find them? Are you setting yourself up for disappointment and failure by ever really investing in one? Is it better to hold back and just observe things as they occur? Is that even possible?

I've lost count of the number of times I've read an account of something then seen it come crashing down within the space of a few minutes -- it can feel like an endless process of rushing from one collapsing building into another at times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Is it better to hold back and just observe things as they occur? Is that even possible?
    even if you assume that it is possible to some extent, it seems like a very psychologically uncomfortable position to occupy? maybe stoicism advocates something like that. do you think it's possible? or at least a good ideal?

I guess I'm somewhat in that position. following national politics is a waste of time if you're in the US. it's such a farce and you can't do anything on that level.
    Last edited by mvuent; 27-10-2019 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    even if you assume that it is possible to some extent, it seems like a very psychologically uncomfortable position to occupy? maybe stoicism advocates something like that. do you think it's possible? or at least a good ideal?

I mean, politically speaking. I'm somewhat in that position.
    I think you'd have to be vigilant and exceptionally disciplined, but even then I'm not sure it's possible. You'd probably have to completely eliminate curiosity and somehow stop yourself from seeing any sort of patterns and associations, both consciously and unconsciously.

I notice it quite a bit with even trivial things. You see an article posted on Reddit and people will leave comments saying "let me guess" then detailing what they assume is in the article when they could just read it and find out. They have to preempt it for some reason.

I was just going to say that always happens. most people on reddit believe they are "smart but lazy" and don't ready the actual articles. but the ones who do...

can i take this thread to talk ab how wild and wacky ginzberg's 'legends of the jews' is re:Narrative more generally. the type of the storyteller
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    can i take this thread to talk ab how wild and wacky ginzberg's 'legends of the jews' is re:Narrative more generally. the type of the storyteller
    no because I haven't read it. you'll have to stick with references to either ender's game or thomas nagel's what is it like to be a bat?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

As impressive as that would be o_l, I think it would take away from what is set to be another classic thread by version
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    As impressive as that would be o_l, I think it would take away from what is set to be another classic thread by version
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Ouch.
    2 birds with one post
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post: