View Poll Results: What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservative majority

6 30.00%
  • Conservative minority

4 20.00%
  • Labour majority

0 0%
  • Labour minority

6 30.00%
  • The Lib Dems are a force for evil

2 10.00%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Election incoming

The piece I posted above points out that a Corbyn govt makes Brexit of any sort less likely. I think if he does get in, it's v likely that he'll unlikely to do much without much of a mandate. That includes sabotaging a ref so I'd roll back on what I said earlier - the likely lack of mandate (due to the collapse of votes in Scotland amongst other things) will make most things harder. I have been thinking about what Lab in govt could actually do and it does strike me that they'd be able to stop some of the Tories more vicious stuff outright. Would the hostile environment really continue with Diane Abbott in the Home Office? You could argue that that alone makes it worth voting Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    People pretend it's something else they object to but of course it's just left wing policies they can't stomach
    Lol, classic zero-effort luka troll.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I've voted tactically in the past, but I don't think I can stomach voting Lib Dem again. I just don't trust their relationship with the Tories and the policies I agree with aren't enough to outweigh that.

Nah. They are fundamentally pro EU, They're aren't going to get in bed with Johnson.

It's not just about Brexit though. I don't trust them not to back the Tories on policy in general, or at least not to hamper Labour's economic agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    It's not just about Brexit though. I don't trust them not to back the Tories on policy in general, or at least not to hamper Labour's economic agenda.
    In other times I'd agree, but the Tory party is a very different thing from what it was even nine years ago, when Clegg made his devil's bargain with Cameron.

Really what we're seeing is the effects of party politics dominated by two main parties - one massively right-wing and unambiguously pro-Brexit, the other progressive but fractured between its pro-Brexit leadership and anti-Brexit majority - with possible kingmaker roles to be played by a party that's more or less socially liberal and strongly anti-Brexit but economically right-wing, and another party that's like the Tories on crack.

The Tories have virtually nothing to lose by getting more and more right wing, as that will only help stave off the threat from Farage, whereas Labour sound a lot like they're saying "Who else are you going to vote for, chump?" to progressive voters who don't want any kind of Brexit.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm reminded of Thirdform's comments about the decay of the two party system. That's what we're living through - Conservatives have been encouraged by Brexit to let out their Mr Hyde and the Labour Party has also changed irrevocably by the events of 2015-17. They're both different things now and politics is trying to realgin itself around that. It does feel kinda decadent to me, inward turning. Some of Labour's policy isn't I'll grant - Green New Deal etc - but I see precious else little optimism.

Owen Smith has just stood down. I think they'll be a small number of others who can't campaign to put Corbyn in No 10.

This feels pretty desperate, and wholly unprecedented in its unpredictability. What was the event that precipitated the tories hefty lead over labour? During corbyns time, labour have also been ahead in the polls.

Lib dems will go with the tories again if it means power, under the guise of changing things from the inside. Wont be making that mistake again.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 29-10-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Of course the solution is to disenfranchise everyone over 55

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    So does trump but he's still president.
    but that all came to the surface after he was elected. one could argue trump did exhibit leadership in the campaign: he identified an audience and a need, crafted a succinct message, rallied audiences who previously never bothered to get involved and motivated them to vote for him.

leadership doesn't always have to be for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    leadership is more than just believing in something, it's being able to articulate a vision that rallies people, motivates them to join in and work together to make what you believe in actually happen.
    Corbyn can do all that in spades. Hence the massive increase in Labour membership that followed his election as leader.

But personally I don't really give a shit about leaders. It's Labour policies that count.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    How old are you mate? Surely you've realised most people ARE morons.
    No they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Is it? Which ones have been greater?
    Austerity. Extreme market capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Nah. They are fundamentally pro EU, They're aren't going to get in bed with Johnson.
    That's their only point of difference. Jo Swinson has voted for tory policies more often than a lot of tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oment-has-come

"(30/04/2010) General election 2010: The liberal moment has come:
    If the Guardian had a vote in the 2010 general election it would be cast enthusiastically for the Liberal Democrats...it is the Liberal Democrats who have most consistently argued that cause in the round and who, after the exhaustion of the old politics, reflect and lead an overwhelming national mood for real change."

Never forgive, never forget. A toxic party.

(and yeah, I know the article is more nuanced than the part I quoted, but fuck it, it's campaigning season and nuance can go to hell)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 30-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.