Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the long face?

yeah, he hasn't. that's my point. stop with the dodgy racial kitsch corpsey.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I find characters like Mark E. Smith interesting. He was serious, visible and a twat but also a total enigma. I feel as though I could read hundreds of interviews with him and still find him mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Minor Threat, Black Flag etc. totally earnest faces. All the time.
    well, a few things

first, they all outgrew it pretty quickly. MT did "Salad Days". Flag grew their, slowed way the hell down, did "Slip It In", etc.

second, early hardcore that was earnest was definitely earnest but it's hard to call it a pose. it was legitimate teenage idiot energy music.

third, there was an element of irony present right from the beginning

what was - probably still is - incredibly self-serious was vegan sXe hardcore of the 90s and beyond

even leaving out the literal proto-fascists (i.e. hardline), a more po-faced music has likely never existed

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I have to think - someone correct me if I'm wrong - the audience for UR/Drexciya/etc is overwhelmingly white and European
    Stingray's said there's a much bigger audience for stuff like Drexciya in Europe than there is in the US. He ended up moving to Berlin himself.

The thing about distance makes sense, but then again I find the Japanoise stuff pretty ridiculous and I have no experience of Japan or what it's like to be Japanese.

but it's also about the stance

Japanoise isn't trying to be self-serious, as far as I know, definitely not in the way European and American dark ambient, power electronics, etc seems to try to be

I guess it depends what you mean by Japanoise, but Merzbow doesn't come off that way. Boredoms are patently ridiculous.

the Les Rallizes Denudes do come off like that, but that dude seems like he was deeply on his own personal Velvet Underground trip.

distance isn't the only factor, it just seems like a better, more accurate way to put it than just race

seriousness also gets into authenticity, which is its own, deeply fraught topic

does it feel like this artist have the moral right to this stance? why or why not?

some of it definitely is, as slothrop said above, just down to whether you like something or not

one thing I know - if the serious artistic stance is knowing, fine - but if it's 100% serious, it had better be 100% serious with no winking, ever

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    seriousness also gets into authenticity, which is its own, deeply fraught topic
    Yeah, I'm struggling to keep the two apart at times whilst thinking about this stuff.

they can't necessarily be separated

you've started a lot of interesting - to me - thread topics lately, mostly because they're things without easy, or any, answers

problem with dubstep wasn't its seriousness, early youngsta sets are still the business, dark cavernous slowed down 96 era dnb business with some 2000s grimey/techno sounds, problem is it just got way too referential to 70s reggae. problem is a nineteensomething from oakland is not going to know about bass culture or science from 5 bob marley records so it will just come across as cringe. integration not fusion is the key. dubstep after 2008 outside of the more darker/aggier end got too fusiony.
    I respect islamists

post 2008 dubstep is a case and point in why naivete is not always good. naivete in hardcore-jungle came at the right time. if it came in the 00s when house/techno had a 15 year old reign it would have been awful. sometimes you need to ruthlessly know what you're doing.
    I respect islamists

hence why deconstructed club/conceptronica is cringe. because it's a shadow of idm/leftfield club music. no matter how po-faced the artists are they will never come across as serious because they are unable to read the zeitgeist. marc acardapaine was able to read the zeitgeist. varg vikernes was able to read the goth zeitgeist, as much as I hate to admit it. a lot of it is entrepreneural spirit, sad to say.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i went to fwd when there was 10 people on the dance floor a few times and thats why i stopped going cos it was the shittest club ive ever gone to by a long long long way....
    ten blokes standing round drinking lager.

tbf you should never go to a night that your music friends invite you to. saw my mate do a set to the bar staff.
    I respect islamists

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: