Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the child

“Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win.”

-- Tarkovsky.

“My objective is to create my own world and these images which we create mean nothing more than the images which they are. We have forgotten how to relate emotionally to art: we treat it like editors, searching in it for that which the artist has supposedly hidden. It is actually much simpler than that, otherwise art would have no meaning. You have to be a child—incidentally children understand my pictures very well, and I haven’t met a serious critic who could stand knee-high to those children. We think that art demands special knowledge; we demand some higher meaning from an author, but the work must act directly on our hearts or it has no meaning at all.”

-- Tarkovsky again.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

commonalities here between tarkovsky quotes and feldman's quotes Against Art more generally i saw being thrown around.
    the raw. the foraged. theophany of the WILD one as imposing, benevolent bio-form. mankind as still in a sort of adolescence.
    what does 'forgetting what it was like to be a child' look like? when you were a child, were you aware grownups had forgotten/perplexed by the idea that they could?
    is this 'forgetting' something we willfully do bc of not being able to integrate that rawness/being scared by it, not wanting to remember how immense the world was, or is it something those immense forces make us forget?
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/