Churches.

luka

Have you ever played Age of Empires? And when your civilization reaches a certain stage of development, of centralised wealth and organised manpower, it raises a monument?

The English countryside is like that, villages raise a vertical, a church spire as a certain threshold is crossed.

Last edited:

luka

There is something magical about their presence in the streets, particularly when they're so much older than the surrounding buildings. If they're of Kentish rag stone for instance which gives them a rough hewn antediluvian air.

luka

A different order of existence. An Intersection point with a different universe of values and being.

sufi

lala
Yeah it's difficult but possible to imagine the impact of these gigantic stone phalluses especially in rural towns like winchester or wells in previous centuries, Everyone would have been huddling in grotty residences made of twig and shit, marvelling at these cutting edge of high tech spires, constructed by magicians over generations, jutting up above the hovels and shacks like a space rocket. Back in the days I guess the churches would not have been stony austere monuments as now but gaudy painted psychedelic facades reaching for the heavens and musty crowded interiors, milling about with livestock, hustlers and buskers, layers and layers of furnishings and cruft, booths and kiosks and incense smelling muddle and chaos.

luka

You've hit on another fascinating aspect, that secular enlightenment Freemason magic, knowledge of mathematics and engineering and materials is hidden in them. The church contains it's antagonist. Very dialectical in this sense. The Freemasons claim Wren as one of their own.

sufi

lala
The only place in town to see any sort of image, something painted blue or purple, trippy stained glass, people who bathed and could read, written words ... the future

luka

The masons here as a kind of Sufi order a band of wandering initiates inheritors of a secret wisdom which allows them to perform miracles

luka

What does it mean to raise a vertical? From the very earliest megalithic times. This rock of my own self standing. The forces of the world realigned around it.

luka

Proust has hit upon something I've mentioned before, not to say he necessarily plagiarised me, but that the steeple is two hands met in prayer.

This is a symbol of duality and unity, the two forces equal and balanced in energised opposition. /\ like so.
Again a Masonic, engineering principle as well as a spiritual cosmic principle.

version

I've always liked those photos of Cologne Cathedral still standing after allied bombing whilst everything around it's in ruins.

c23cbf9259134c7e359a3c564bf643ac.jpg

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You've hit on another fascinating aspect, that secular enlightenment Freemason magic, knowledge of mathematics and engineering and materials is hidden in them. The church contains it's antagonist. Very dialectical in this sense. The Freemasons claim Wren as one of their own.

sufi

lala
I suppose that churches never were able to monopolise music the way that they dominated other forms of creative expression - the visual arts for instance

version

Proust has hit upon something I've mentioned before, not to say he necessarily plagiarised me, but that the steeple is two hands met in prayer.

This is a symbol of duality and unity, the two forces equal and balanced in energised opposition. /\ like so.
Again a Masonic, engineering principle as well as a spiritual cosmic principle.

An inverted V. The voodoo gang from Predator 2.