Thread: Delete London

Default Delete London

What would you do if we had to evacuate? how would you be affected?

perhaps because of a terrible smog, like Delhi, a modern pea souper, or a flood, or an alien microbe invasion who knows maybe just a scare
    first the transport would stop, most shops and businesses close, soon the phones and electricity are cut off, then water, how long might you stay?

Where would you go? or Would you let us come and stay, maybe?

How about Swanage. I like Swanage.

I'd probably head to the inlaws in North Wales in the short term. And go quietly mental.

I could probably do most of my work remotely but would miss many of the things that make life worth living like friends, Cafe OTO, decent shops on my road, all that.

I'd be tempted to remain in the ruins living like a hobo and watching the rewilding slowly unfold. But I'd be shit at that.

When mooting a move out I've given serious consideration to Bristol and Sheffield.

Realistically I'd need to go where the work was.

You should all come to Barry, we have air hockey by the beach.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    How about Swanage. I like Swanage.
    Sounds like doing something questionable with a swan. Like something you could be convicted of.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 05-11-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Have lived here all my life bar five years so would find it hard to go. I find life outside London hard to imagine. I would probably aim for a place with a nearby cave where I could evoke spirits from the Goetia. Have to have something to fill the long evenings. Not too near mind, don't want them following me home.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I'm not even in London these days, but we've thought seriously about Brussels. It's handy on the train, it's fancy enough for bourgeois bohemian fun stuff but it's big enough and intermittently crap enough not to feel like you're cheating by living there. Decent venues, great beer...
    Last edited by Slothrop; 05-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Sounds like doing something questionable with a swan. Like something yoh could be convicted of.

Only the Duke of Edinburgh is allowed to do it.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lichen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    I'm not even in London these days, but we've thought seriously about Brussels. It's handy on the train, it's fancy enough for bourgeois bohemian fun stuff but it's big enough and intermittently crap enough not to feel like you're cheating by living there. Decent venues, great beer...
    Best suburbs in the world, too (according to Jonathan Meades).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Best suburbs in the world, too (according to Jonathan Meades).
    I've always thought of Brussels as being roughly what would happen if you tried to convert Bruges into Paris by bolting on leftover bits of Sheffield.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothrop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    go quietly mental.
    I'd imagine if this happened everyone in London would be going at least quietly mental.

I'd move to hearty somerset i guess, work remotely etc

here's a nice looking article (which i have not read) about hanging out in NY after the flood https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/o...york-city.html

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    I'd imagine if this happened everyone in London would be going at least quietly mental.
    About like normal, then?

Lisbon?
    But if you rule that out, I've kinda always had my eye on Tbilisi. I keep wanting to visit but from a distance it looks as though it is big enough not to get bored, small enough to feel part of, has good food and some amazing buildings etc would be cheap enough to live an easy life and apparently there is a good club scene which is also quite left-wing and activist. Is the big club called Bassiani or something?
    Plus I know some people from Georgia and they are really cool and I'm sure they would link me up to people there so I could hit the ground running.

Tbilisi.jpg

Although in fairness, I have never been so perhaps I would totally hate it.