Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kate Tempest

I'll say this for my own poetry, it never tries to be more meaningful than it is. It might be crabbed, parochial, autistically up itself, but it's not got anything to prove about how urgent it is, how much I really feel it, how vital is this moment when we meet in the pure delight of etc. Sod off. SOD OFF.

Another thing which is fairly disgusting is the spoken word mode itself which is a halfway house for people who are too middle class and just as importantly not musical enough to rap (despite wanting to) but not literary and cerebral enough for poetry proper.

The lines are too flabby, too dopey on a technical level, for rap and too stupid for poetry.

I can always tell a 'spoken word artist' as they walk up to my table, even before they say a word. It's written all over them.

The way they dress, the smirk on their face, the way they carry themselves. I'm never wrong. They might as well have it tattooed on their forehead.

"Hi, I'm a spoken word artist myself"

Yes mate you don't need to tell me I can tell from your adidas alone

Looking at the Wikipedia it's sort of amazing she went to the Brit school, and to goldsmiths! It's too perfect!

Let them eat chaos.

I do feel a twinge of guilt at the thought of her reading this. I'm sorry Kate, I know you're not a bad person. You're just career minded, hard nosed, astute. I'm jealous of your success.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Another thing which is fairly disgusting is the spoken word mode itself which is a halfway house for people who are too middle class and just as importantly not musical enough to rap (despite wanting to) but not literary and cerebral enough for poetry proper.

The lines are too flabby, too dopey on a technical level, for rap and too stupid for poetry.
    Totally agree. Rap has to cut through in a way this stuff never does. It's an extremely focussed, disciplined art.

Rappers are governed by the metronome, even when, especially when, they're messing about with it, so it's always going to fit together well. It keeps it honest.

It's funny in a way because I'm a very early version of the middle class person growing up in an almost exclusively working class area of London and I get the sense that there are much more of these people now and they're exerting an influence, particularly in marketing and culture industries, fashion etc. They're more confident and entitled than me, usually better looking than me, but I can hear the tell tale signs in people's voices and the way they dress and so on.

Barty is a fellow member of this class.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

This is how the spectator sees it

"Metrical rigour and adroit rhyming are not yet among her accomplishments. She has a pretty, cherubic face, framed by unbrushed red blonde hair and she speaks in a Caribbean lite patois that translates ‘those things’ into ‘dem fings’. This linguistic pattern has many fans among the elite. It’s seen as an emblem of barbarous innocence, of instinctive passions bred in the ghetto, of an unschooled and therefore superior creativity. And it particularly excites Arts Council grandees who believe their mission is to reach down to the uncivilised and protean human type. Which Tempest perfectly represents."

What it puts you in a position to do is to give people from solidly middle class affluent areas (people who dish out arts council grants for instance) the frisson that comes from contact with the street and the instinctive passions bred in the ghetto while still being fluent in the language and mores of the middle class. This is what a what a new generation is milking for all its worth. I think it's a driving force behind the gentrification of culture.

people who's parent bought in Hackney in the early '00s say. It's quite interesting for me.

I've done my bit you lot have to say somethings now