Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kate Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    This is how the spectator sees it

"Metrical rigour and adroit rhyming are not yet among her accomplishments. She has a pretty, cherubic face, framed by unbrushed red blonde hair and she speaks in a Caribbean lite patois that translates ‘those things’ into ‘dem fings’. This linguistic pattern has many fans among the elite. It’s seen as an emblem of barbarous innocence, of instinctive passions bred in the ghetto, of an unschooled and therefore superior creativity. And it particularly excites Arts Council grandees who believe their mission is to reach down to the uncivilised and protean human type. Which Tempest perfectly represents."
    I mean fuck the Spectator, and I can't help but hear David Starkey mithering about how "the whites are becoming black" in that jibe about patois, but there is a grain of truth in this, that it's "street" for people who aren't.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to poetix For This Useful Post:

luke's just annoyed because we've literally spent 18 months making an album of him reading his poems with my music in the background. she beat us to it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    I mean fuck the Spectator, and I can't help but hear David Starkey mithering about how "the whites are becoming black" in that jibe about patois, but there is a grain of truth in this, that it's "street" for people who aren't.
    Black people have changed the way white people speak. Starkey was right about that. Whether or not you see that as a sign of the decay of civilization is where the divide is.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    luke's just annoyed because we've literally spent 18 months making an album of him reading his poems with my music in the background. she beat us to it.
    If only

Who did it better?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I've never heard of her tbh. The poet I keep seeing people tearing their hair out over is Rupi Kaur who does those Instagram poems.

https://www.instagram.com/rupikaur_/

Cripes. That instagram stuff is like what they write in wedding or bereavement cards from Hallmark, only for cool people.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

instagram poetry is for complete cunts

https://www.instagram.com/laughing_foxe/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I made an effort a while back to listen to some of her stuff, having heard her name around and being an open minded soul in a general way and an enthusiast of culture, & it failed to set me on fire

surely a valid resentment for the likes of luka and poetix though would be down to her achieving success based on her unremarkable poetry, when you all do that stuff properly in obscurity - as well as you of course are able to see straight through the image to her true shitness,
    Meanwhile, she is successful because non-poets may genuinely enjoy her work at a more superficial level. simple and obvious? but slightly less simplistic than simple sour grapes.

You are also, as far as i understand, not fruity young women, & that may also have something to do with your relative unpopularity compared to KT and also to do with the need for you two to produce great work, rather than relying on "personality", chin up!
    Last edited by sufi; 15-11-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: "personality"

It is poetry that would sit well on "Later... With Jools Holland".

To be fair he had Sleaford Mods on there, but lots of people seemed to absolutely hate them. Which was great.

I don't pay a lot of attention to poetry but people like Salena Godden and Emily Harrison seem a bit more like it. Less cloying. Less comfortably Radio 4.

Kate Tempest is not the biggest problem we face though. There is always going to be a next poet that hits it big and they will always be terrible. Simon Armitage would be another one.

She's not the enemy. Just a symptom of English middle class taste. What interests me is where all the sort of writers I like went. The paranoid schizophrenic types. Crackpots. The sort of degenerates semiotexte was into. Hucksters. Drooling shamans. Very alienated people. Sheep killing dogs. Actual proper writers. There aren't any.

I am certain there is a market for it. I'm sure there are a few thousand people or so who want that itch scratched. Theory maybe is occupying that zone to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What interests me is where all the sort of writers I like went. The paranoid schizophrenic types. Crackpots. The sort of degenerates semiotexte was into. Hucksters. Drooling shamans. Very alienated people. Sheep killing dogs. Actual proper writers. There aren't any.
    Josef K?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Akala. Discuss.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post: