Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: audible seams in deliberate reaction to the Xanax Zone

Uncle Craner chipping in with some banter. Haven't felt this cosy in ages

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    what carol is asking is can we weaponise docility against the system.
    Ah right.

going on strike. sit ins.

boycotts.

I really really like this but it gives me the serious heebie jeebies

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I really really like this but it gives me the serious heebie jeebies
    i can imagine it being really upsetting if i was on drugs. all those fears coming in the back of your head about "what if this goes wrong" suddenly manifesting itself sonically.

Poetix wrote a book that I admit I haven't read but is about the political value of depression.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dominic-Fox.../dp/B009F72CMS

I think that's what it's about?

live well in the world one must be able to enjoy it: to love, Freud says, and work. Dejection is the state of being in which such enjoyment is no longer possible. There is an aesthetic dimension to dejection, in which the world appears in a new light. In this book, the dark serenity of dejection is examined through a study of the poetry of Hopkins and Coleridge, and the music of "depressive" black metal artists such as Burzum and Xasthur.

The author then develops a theory of "militant dysphoria" via an analysis of the writings of the Red Army Fraction’s activist-theoretician, Ulrike Meinhof. The book argues that the "cold world" of dejection is one in which new creative and political possibilities, as well as dangers, can arise. It is not enough to live well in the world: one must also be able to affirm that another world is possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

the alphabet and standardised language are codes proliferated by the man to encode our thoughts. they're spells to trap and limit our cognitions.

slang is developed by counter cultures to try and recode our brain machines, but now a new generation of xanax terrorists have emerged waging an intellectual insurgency by dissolving language. phonetic viscosity.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

That's a really good one do another one!

There's a real flatness about this kind of music that reminds of HMGs theory about anti depressants cutting off the human soul from its highs and low and leaving it with a steady pulse in the middle regions

Kind of unnerving hollowness to it too

Do you mean in the sound of it? The digital inhuman glaze?

The sound and Stuff. Inhuman. Inorganic. Flat. Uncanny valley. Undead.

You know how some drugs seem to lock you into a inhuman frequency? So you're not flesh and blood anymore?

This kind of music is like watching adverts for the post human future and realising you're not going to be allowed to make the transition. Surplus to requirements. Cancelled stock.

I definitely think Barty is right in identifying this kind of music, the xanax zone, as the future that's here now, what he calls an inadvertent future in that it doesn't rely on sci fi trappings.

This is why it has the power to make people, me, genuinely uncomfortable in a way resident advisor endorsed landfill electronica never will.

Another way in which this future is disturbing, and this is crucial, is that it is about convergence and not resistance.

Look back at the beginning of the dematerialisation thread and you'll see how uncomfortable this makes people. This future is capitalist. It's not counter cultural. It's not an underground resistance. It's convergence. It's a folding in.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Beast of Burden
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    the problem with autotune is that it is not cyborg enough. Zapp still sounds more radical at their best in that regard.
    it think that makes it sound far more like the future-present though. cyborg is perhaps cooler sounding but the uncanny valley stuff is much more 2018. i think it's vastly more radical precisely because it doesn't depend on retro-cool. there's an ambiguity- am i drawn to this or am i utterly repelled and disturbed by it?
    it's the queasiness of it.

and just to be clear this thread is not about like it/dont like it. like it/dont like it is rarely a good starting point for discussion. it doesnt go anywhere.

its about tracking the progress
    of an event. something which is happening to reality and is affecting almost every sphere of human
    endevour, not just music and architecture, but we're mostly a music forum so it's in the music thread with a focus on music. it's probably the easiest way for us to think through it a bit.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

there's also a whole gamut of emotions or complexes of emotions that i think are peculiar to the internet and digitalisation and i think autotune is expressive of those things in a way vocoder can't be.
    barty said his favourite bit in the reynolds article was the bit about it sounding like cher's face looks and i agree. that's a good example of the uncanny valley. or the instagram filters, or the japanese photobooths which preceded and inspired the filters-the smoothing of the skin, the enlarging of the eyes etc etc (and which people now get injections, surgery etc to replicate)
    Last edited by luka; 27-09-2018 at 07:49 PM.

So that, I suppose, as a way of saying I'm not interested in 'reactions to' the Xanax zone. I don't think that's the right response.
    Last edited by luka; 20-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    That's a really good one do another one!
    the 21st century has seen artists give voice to the machines. they have allowed themselves to act as vectors and messengers of artificial intelligences.

we have to listen to what the machines are telling us. they speak of the satanic.

the human voice is rendered something not dissimilar to a pungi

pungis are used in snake charming. these artists are charming the snake that tempted eve upon the tree of knowledge

technology of course offers us knowledge. like eve we have bitten from the fruit.

js_electronics_13-_mackbook_pro_case_-_harbor.jpg

technological progress has removed humanity from the pastoral paradise it once inhabited. eden.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post: