luka

Brit rap. Not the early public enemy influenced britcore stuff which carries a modicum of critical cachet, the later 90s stuff.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've noticed that, outside of the obvious darlings like jungle/garage/US rap, a lot of 90's music is terminally uncool. Trip hop, e.g.

Whereas even the uncool pop from the 80s is now capable of credibility.

forclosure

I personally think the comparison to emo rap and the blues is ridiculous and surfacy but thats just me really

however as far as stuff thats "uncredible" these days id say alot of 00s "indie" these days is uncredible it just dawned on alot of now 30 year olds that alot of those bands were uncool and sexless and they were led to believe that Pete Doherty smoking crack in a van was on the same level as Jim Morrison dying in a bathtub.

Its why i also feel comfortable saying "grindie" will never come back because of this, i cant see a British equivalent out there who fuses say The Futureheads and Tempa T and by some minor miracle makes that shit sound natural aint happening

forclosure

theres one or two people but most forms of "extreme" rock music i think alot of people would refuse to touch on here

Grindcore,Powerviolence,Death metal that kinda thing DEFINITLY Crust Punk(considering psytrance got brought up)

Black Metal for a while now has been the most "credible" of the bunch but even then i think its the music, the people who are really into it and the neo nazi shit that understandably repel people

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think it's a bit pathetic personally to not like a scene because of its audience (psytrance excluded.) I don't really listen to much that is approved by RA simply cos the people there don't know the music they are writing about (/ can find better examples of the stuff they rep) unless its a detroit og or someone else who puts out a mix on there. version is far more clued into the RA ecosystem than I am, I just like making fun of them regurgitating out of date trends. But yeah that's like saying I don't listen to any of the music covered in the 90s source, which would rightly be taken as incredulous as opposed to uncredible.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Grindcore,Powerviolence,Death metal that kinda thing DEFINITLY Crust Punk
bro come on you know I'm ride or die for all that stuff

I don't talk about it cos it's Dissensus - luke almost loses his mind at Discharge let alone the galaxies of noise not music they inspired, blissblogger disdains all shredding as pointless, etc

but yeah

and all of those except maybe crust (and even that, really) have undergone critical reappraisals, if they even needed it

Southern Lord, possibly the most renowned (+ consistent) cool metal label, has put out all of those kinds of records

there's hella artsy grind, powerviolence always had avant noise connections - as exemplified by Man Is the Bastard/Bastard Noise, and so on

the last few years there's been an absolute tidal wave of "cool" death metal as younger heads sick of brutal tech death + whatever went back to the OSDM roots

padraig (u.s.)

it's true that most people here probably wouldn't fuck with most/any of it, but that's a failing of dissensus rather than the other way around

the advent of grindcore was always de facto avant - what the fuck else is Scum?

"powerviolence" was a stupid in-joke as much as a scene but also - blinding speed, sludge, noise, no hooks - a distillation of all the least accessible parts of hardcore

padraig (u.s.)

and the same for the advent of death metal

"death metal is a music that is boundaryless [sic]. you can be as heavy as you want, you can be as sick as you want, you can be as fast or as slow as you want."

padraig (u.s.)

dissensus

1) doesn't like guitars in general, unless they're self-consciously artsy guitars, deconstructing rock or whatever
2) related, doesn't like or appreciate riffs - pop hooks are beloved, riffs are not. nor are solos, unless it's fucking Marquee Moon or whatever

3) especially doesn't like aggressive guitars of any, unless they're self-consciously artsy, like 80s noise rock or whatever

4) doesn't get any of the above as a general rule

padraig (u.s.)

so it's easy to see why black metal would be the most "credible" here

it's self-consciously artsy as fuck (there is plenty of dumb hesher black metal, but it's not the cool kind people like)

the riffs invert typical metal tropes - all the minor key tremolo picking

the aggression is frozen into melancholy, nihilism, anguish, etc - cool feelings that people like

the lyrics are full of dumb pseudophilosophy instead of (like death metal) being about zombies and gore or whatever

etc etc

padraig (u.s.)

not that any of this is better or worse than each other

just that I have to stick up for this because who else will

padraig (u.s.)

I'm also the person who said rock is better the further it gets from blues but I copped it from (+ cited) Woebot; idk if the idea is original to him or not

I don't necessarily agree with it, or at best it's a rule with many exceptions

as a frameworks it explains why Can and the Velvet Underground are better than late 60s British blues rock or whatever (tho even there you've got the mighty Groundhogs as counterpoint)

but I'm also a huge fan of 70s heavy rock + all that follows and that entire lineage is rife with blues vibes

for example Black Sabbath->Eyehategod->etc

padraig (u.s.)

stuff I imagine people here really refusing to touch with a ten foot pole isn't even psytrance or whatever but all the terrible bits/dead ends of 90s dance music

i.e. trip hop outside Massive Attack + Portishead, big beat, the "tribal/ethno" end of ambient, the much shit upon progressive house, etc

pystrance at least is avvin it large on some level, all that other stuff is like a coffee table come to life

mvuent

Void Dweller
I'm also the person who said rock is better the further it gets from blues but I copped it from (+ cited) Woebot; idk if the idea is original to him or not

I don't necessarily agree with it, or at best it's a rule with many exceptions

as a frameworks it explains why Can and the Velvet Underground are better than late 60s British blues rock or whatever (tho even there you've got the mighty Groundhogs as counterpoint)

wouldn't that rule (if for some reason you took it really seriously) would commit you to saying that gryphon and similar bands are the best rock music of all time? tbh I don't see how can and the velvet underground would even make the list at all

maybe it's a good rule of thumb for a certain window of time but even then, idk, seems like you could make the argument that can and the velvet underground were closer to blues in some respects than cream or whatever?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
stuff I imagine people here really refusing to touch with a ten foot pole isn't even psytrance or whatever but all the terrible bits/dead ends of 90s dance music

i.e. trip hop outside Massive Attack + Portishead, big beat, the "tribal/ethno" end of ambient, the much shit upon progressive house, etc

pystrance at least is avvin it large on some level, all that other stuff is like a coffee table come to life

yeah i was gonna say prog house. literally can't imagine anyone liking that on here. although the very very very early JBO stuff around 92-93 has about 2-3 good uns, (not 34 as joe muggs said) although they are just as much US garage/detroit techno influenced. and even then. absolutely nothing after 93 though, fully cancelled.

Massive Attack and Portishead suck as well.