Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'The Future' Weaponized For Intergenerational Warfare.

I don't care either way, I despise a great deal of any given generation

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

the music nerd elders talked down to or ignored us when were in our 20s-30s, why should we make it any easier on the young 'uns now that we've risen up the ladder and have our boot on their neck?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    the music nerd elders talked down to or ignored us when were in our 20s-30s, why should we make it any easier on the young 'uns now that we've risen up the ladder and have our boot on their neck?
    I know, I also hear this voice Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I don't care either way, I despise a great deal of any given generation
    Must be nice
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

being a bit facetious of course, but isn't this the case with most sorts of generational divides? elders feel entitled because they've paid their dues and young ones feel dissed, "you just don't understand, man!".

it's like the waves of immigrants who come to an area: the Dutch and Germans were early settlers in my neighborhood, and they treated the newcomer Irish like shit, who a few decades later rose up the social and economic ladder and started treating the newcomer Italians like shit, who in turn over time started treating the new hispanic immigrants like shit, who now often shit on the recently arrived Koreans and Vietnamese.

a time-honored tradition of feeling superior to those who come after you!

OK boomer
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    I’m very pro-future. I love it.

I went to this planetarium once and it was space projected all over the walls and you were being launched through all these stars and galaxies and it had all these things where all these machines were being disassembled and all this. Amazing. I told the girl I was with (who was baffled by my taste in music) “this looks like what the music I like sounds like”.

A couple of years ago I was really sad listening to jungle thinking “fuck, the future happened before I was born”. Why I love the music of the last couple of years so much is that it’s the first proper future in decades. Not just a little tinkering with ing frameworks we already have, but full on alien music.

I feel sorry for dance music fans; you have a music who’s whole lexicon is based on the future and yet it’s been relegated to being the past. Dance music hasn’t had a new idea in maybe 20 years.
    Again this seems to be a question of how the future imaginary works for someone. I'm not sad when listening to jungle because it was the future it forecasted backwards from the 70s into today - well, maybe not so much the more jazzy stuff I'm talking about the ruffer polyrhythmic clattering breaks business. Similar thing with acid.

But i can imagine that if what attracted me to jungle was its utopian promise like progressive trance or something then i can very much imagine feeling melancholic and sad. The thing with the 'future' is not just dance music, the whole concept is stuck in the past. noone is actually confused by the concept of futurism or futurist music.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

you have to bring something to the table of future. it is quite selfish in that regard it doesn't hold out a helping hand. you take its hand and it sucks you in. but it in my experience doesn't work the other way. If my idea of future was ethereal space I wouldn't be listening to nasty techno in 2019. sci-fi as a genre of literature is quite boring. it's not deep enough to be proper novels but it's not pulp enough to be crime/gangster/skinhead fiction. it's stuck in that sort of aching middle. what makes Ursula Le Guin so great in that regard is how she wrote her books like novels, very heavy on the dialogue and quite terrestrial. But you read Isaac Asimov and he's a terrible writer in terms of structure. he tries to tell basic cold war stories by crambing as many cool robotic devices and imperial galaxies into them. not for me in 2019 (nothing to do with the politics, just crap writing and crap literature.)
    Last edited by thirdform; 22-11-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    I respect islamists

usually what I mean by future is mad headfuck shit. but future just sounds like so mmuch more of an appealing proposition than headfuck. But it's bragadosio, and pimping, really.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    OK boomer
    Leo is WWII generation.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

ha...not even close!

I respect islamists

ha...not even close!
    Yeah finga, Leo saw action at Ypres and the Somme. Have some fucking respect.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Yeah finga, Leo saw action at Ypres and the Somme. Have some fucking respect.
    No, but I did see the Contortions and Teenage Jesus and the Jerks at Max's Kansas City.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Old Castro remembered bits of hideous legend that paled the speculations of theosophists and made man and the world seem recent and transient indeed. There had been aeons when Leo ruled on the earth, and He had had great cities. Remains of Leo, he said the deathless Chinamen had told him, were still to be found as Cyclopean stones on islands in the Pacific. Leo died vast epochs of time before men came, but there were arts which could revive Him when the stars had come round again to the right positions in the cycle of eternity. He had, indeed, come himself from the stars, and brought His images with Him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I was more or less pissing cum.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post: