Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Greensleeves Vampires

polystyle

Hold that line , please ...

'Plot' ... indeed.
never a bad idea to record the conversations or screen those calls !

On the production side of things :

Re: Engineers . Any Studio large enough has an engineer on staff, sure they are not prolly paid enough
but they are staff and are there to help out ... or more .
The 'more' can be many things ,
recording a vocal ('Rock Rock to the Planet Rock' vocoder by eng Jay Burnette, one example) ,
hooking up that new device and making it actually work (thereby changing the whole sound of a recording)
or finding 'that sound' the artist or producer is looking for - but doesn't know it until they hear it' ( the eng knows what sounds the Studio has , where they are or how to get them).

Re: Producers . Yea , there are only a few 'Martin Hannett's' (nah, only one really) around,
and I guess quite a few producer's totally depend on their engineers .
When the team is right tho' it can be great .
Proper credit helps if one cannot pay the eng special , make them a Co Producer' , etc.

Re: ASCAP and music /Copyright laws.
Sure , these mechanisms are far from perfect or even good , depending.
Esp. the laws and pol's / public's ideas of what Copyright really does ,
as usual the bigger the Corp. the bigger the grab.

And I really luv how ASCAP went from paying for the last 3 years of one's works if filed -
to only the last year (!) -
welly well got to pay out for that full color 'member's mag they um 'produce' so what's 3 year's LESS money for the artists ...

Last fall we worked up a version of the famous Christmas song 'Carol Of The Bells',
(you all prolly know it , Victoria Secret used it during X mas season , among others)
as one of our Pac Man related songs we produced.
At the same time we were researching how wrote it , etc. and found this guy who had just returned
from Ukraine where he was studying this one song and it's history.
Turns out that the Ukrainian composer had written his version based on a folk tune , well ok so far .
The one time it was performed in the US , an American composer heard it , added some lyrics to it
and Copyrighted it in the US.
So this guys pocket's , his Publisher's and whomever else got ALL the money made from the song,
because he filed a CP.

I REALLY wanted to release our version which was only based on the original melody music
and dare the US publisher to come after me / us so we could point out that we were simply doing a version of the Ukrainian composer's music (and by extension, the original folk music) which we would have properly credited - and not the American composer's 'work' , just to see what happened.
But alas I was working with a big Japanese Game Co. 's property and so it was too complex and a battle they didn't need to fight .

One point being ,
for the artists , engineers and some producers getting ripped off and screwed by the labels,
their lawyers and in- between's is the usual course of things in the Record Biz
and it's always been that way.

Re: Recording your calls . Maybe 'illegal' to do so without telling the other party you are doing so,
but as I rd in the book by one of the Beaver & Krause' guys , it worked with various threatening LA types
who spouted crap like "You'll never work in this town again' when they complained about deal ends not being held up , etc.
Of course, the story goes that then George Harrison took in one of those guys,
heard his plans and the music for his new electronic music release -
and simply went and copied the music and released it himself on his label.

Maybe the Beatles' Apple will put that one on iTunes , some 'barristers' or decades away...

wayneandwax

boston jerk
jeeeeezus!

the saga continues, e?

amazing recordings...

some favorite quotables from mr.brown:

"you'll get a lightning bolt" // "you wasn't there jammys" // "you never mix none of them tracks there" // "is i mix everything" // "you know-seh you're lying" // "you gonna do me something?" // "who wan rob a dead man? <i>greensleeves</i> a 'rob a dead man' thing"

gwaan scientist!

not sure what will come of this - legally (or violently) speaking. probably good that scientist no longer lives inna JA, at any rate.

ripley

wayneandwax said:
jeeeeezus!

the saga continues, e?

amazing recordings...

some favorite quotables from mr.brown:

"you'll get a lightning bolt" // "you wasn't there jammys" // "you never mix none of them tracks there" // "is i mix everything" // "you know-seh you're lying" // "you gonna do me something?" // "who wan rob a dead man? <i>greensleeves</i> a 'rob a dead man' thing"

gwaan scientist!

not sure what will come of this - legally (or violently) speaking. probably good that scientist no longer lives inna JA, at any rate.

this'll make some good breakcore samples - hell, I'm tempted right now!