Ariel Pink gig in London.

don_quixote

Trent End
who was on the bill in london?

cambridge tomorrow = ariel pink + UM + john maus and gary war set

very much looking forward to seeing UM again actually.

don_quixote

Trent End
the keyboardists solo stuff was absolutely fantastic, like what i, as a nineteen year old, imagine the human league or new order would feel like at their peak at a huge stadium gig, yet i was in a mucky back room of a pub in cambrigde.

ariel pink was fantastic, absolutely gorgeous and mesmeric. his awkward movement mixed with a seeming inability to look the audience in the eye... he sang to a wall for most of his set pacing round and round. in a way they reminded me of the fall as mark e. smith rarely looks his crowd in the eye.

i didnt recognise any of the songs they played. didnt stop it being one of my favourite gigs this year

Woebot

infinite thought said:
But who was the guy on before him (who also played keyboards in the band)? Gary War? In a way I preferred this - all the purely psychotic bits of Ariel Pink, plus basic pre-set keyboard, without the slightly comforting fuzz-out distancing-effects of all those guitars and sonic whirls.

Yes. For the record, both John Maus and Gary War were great, maybe not as special (for me at least) but brilliant. I've googled them and they've no available CDs or wotnot (though they both had cd-rs on sale at the gig).

What was weird (and fantastic) was imagining a whole micro-scene of maniac american lo-fi synth-obsessed weirdos on a thomas leer/early cabs/early human league/chrome/robert rental trip

uncannydan

count me out

i was a fan of pink for the longest time until i saw his first new york performance at tonic last year...the spotty stage presence has been mentioned, but his arrogance hasn't...he spent the night taking jabs at r. stevie moore (at one point asking him to quit acting weird, which was followed by an awkward 5 second silence) and complaining about the volume being too low (which was actually deafening)...i interviewed him for a zine which i'm putting together hopefully by this summer. one particular comment mad me cringe: "what do we need tyrannosaurus rex for when we have devendra banhart?" he came across as all art student attitude...he was particularly offended when i asked him if he would continue reissuing and touring older material rather than recording new songs. apparently, he was more interested in "cashing in" on his old work, as he put it, than recording any new material any time soon.

ariel pink has his moments but he definitely doesn't have the naivete or modesty you'd expect when it comes to the diy pop canon (tronics, tvps, r stevie, cannanes, desperate bicycles, scritti pollitti, etc)...

best diy pop of the moment: cause co-motion

Woebot

uncannydan said:
i was a fan of pink for the longest time until i saw his first new york performance at tonic last year...the spotty stage presence has been mentioned, but his arrogance hasn't...he spent the night taking jabs at r. stevie moore (at one point asking him to quit acting weird, which was followed by an awkward 5 second silence) and complaining about the volume being too low (which was actually deafening)...i interviewed him for a zine which i'm putting together hopefully by this summer. one particular comment mad me cringe: "what do we need tyrannosaurus rex for when we have devendra banhart?" he came across as all art student attitude...he was particularly offended when i asked him if he would continue reissuing and touring older material rather than recording new songs. apparently, he was more interested in "cashing in" on his old work, as he put it, than recording any new material any time soon.

hmm theres a few artists i think are twats, but its never yet stopped me from enjoying their work. admittedly it can be off-putting for a while.

uncannydan said:
ariel pink has his moments but he definitely doesn't have the naivete or modesty you'd expect when it comes to the diy pop canon (tronics, tvps, r stevie, cannanes, desperate bicycles, scritti pollitti, etc)...

i saw the TVPS perform a micro-gig in Glasgow in the early nineties in what appeared to be a kind of office-suite. it was quite cool! nevber really been inspired to check them out in any depth. while i've never been a fan of the homosexuals (massively over-rated plain-jane proto-2000-indie rock with slightly scuffed-edges) the George Hrassment record is perfect diy pop.

r.stevie moore, from what i've heard, is a crock of shite. (gonna start an r.stevie moore thread now)

uncannydan said:
best diy pop of the moment: cause co-motion

eh! well there's one worth checking out then! are you their manager ;)

soupstain

uncannydan said:
"what do we need tyrannosaurus rex for when we have devendra banhart?"

That's really funny - I hope he meant it. The obnoxious personality looks to me like part of the act, another barrier between the audience and the tunes.

If anyone's interested in hearing AP's recent studio recordings (mentioned by Appleblim upthread) it looks like they are going to be released on <a href="http://www.southern.net/southern/label/LTT/" target="_new">this label</a> in September. In the meantime, I can heartily recommend the Ginnungagap CD they're flogging now. It's acoustic droney, raga-ish stuff from a Sunn0)) man and his pals.

mms

sometimes
soupstain said:
That's really funny - I hope he meant it. The obnoxious personality looks to me like part of the act, another barrier between the audience and the tunes.

If anyone's interested in hearing AP's recent studio recordings (mentioned by Appleblim upthread) it looks like they are going to be released on <a href="http://www.southern.net/southern/label/LTT/" target="_new">this label</a> in September. In the meantime, I can heartily recommend the Ginnungagap CD they're flogging now. It's acoustic droney, raga-ish stuff from a Sunn0)) man and his pals.
i'm very interested to hear this aerial pink you young persons are discussing.
i saw ginnugagap play live in hackney last year, they were very quiet and utterly miserable, they worse masks same as sunn. i prefered charles hayward's krautrocky band that were playing the same bill, that guy is still a boss drummer.

dominic

Beast of Burden
given the very impressive consensus behind ariel pink, i really must ask -- When do they play New York?

ariel pink

ariel pink's production values on haunted graffitti remind me of matt johnson's burning blue soul. kind of claustrophilic indoor immensity.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
drawings

anyone seen Ariel Pinks art ?
its of the 14 year old/ lad back of jotter school.

bet he's read a few novels with maps in the front pages.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
if Hans Bellmer was 14 and exceptionally bored in double physics he would have done similar stuff. As it stands these seem to confirm his positioning as ''outsider artist/savant/nieve kunst.

rubberdingyrapids

ive been an AP fan since hearing 'credit' whenever that was, but my god, this new album has a TON of filler on it. the whole second record just seems like a back to back piss take.