Indian influences in the reggae 'nuum

Client Eastwood

Reggae in India

Not really for this thread but may as well stick it here.

The Reggae Rajahs in New Dehli, India. Looks like Mungos were out there too.

Trillhouse

The Indian immigrant's influence on Jamaican culture is fairly well documented, but I don't know how much of it seeped into JA music. I imagine you can find Indian influences in some reggae/ragga, but whether that's come from within, or is just a reflection of larger outside trends I don't know. There isn't a great history of the Indo-Jamaicans being involved in JA music, Super Cat is probably the only one I can recall off the top of my head.

The Chinese Jamaicans are a whole other story. They have a long and illustrious history of involvement in JA music. From Leslie Kong producer and owner of Beverly's records, Vincent and Patricia Chin, founders of VP Records, musician Byron Lee - down to Sean Paul and the UK's own Omar.

Then there's this little face melter
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Client Eastwood

soca definitely had alot of indian influence, and dancehalls kick rhythm overlays soca (if you substitute the last snare for the kick instead).

I read somewhere there that calypso was the original music to Trinidad, then the indian influence lead to soca. Kind of like a 'nuum of sorts. I think it was from one of the links from this thread. Then there's soca + reggae giving rise to chutney (and chutney needs its own thread).

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
cool thread. still not so sure what the link between the middle east (well, specifically anatolian rhythms) and dancehall is. Jungle rhythms don't sound west african for instance they sound far more egyptian/turkish. obviously a lot of this is just the way you chop a funk break but there's definitely some osmosis or indirect link there... And most turkish folk rhythms are basically d-hall. where the down hits on the 1-3.

luka

never thought of it like that. very good.

Barty displaying anything but scorn for another person's counting is unprecedented. Thirdform should print that out in gold, frame it and hang it in his office as a kind of certificate of achievement