Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: black ops (appreciation-type post)

Default black ops (appreciation-type post)

ok, so i know dissensus is probably too high brow and grown up to do good old fashioned appreciation posts, but i am listening to black ops on rinse right now (admittedly after coming back from the pub), and just wanted to share it with someone as i really like their beats. and whoever is MCing isnt that good, but reminds me of old pirate MCs more than a lot of grime MCs. excuse my black op ignorance, but their beats are dark and good.

Black Ops are big. Some of my favourite vinyls from them. Got their own style.

SubLow Presha!!!
    T.S. Heritage
    Boosted Recordings
    http://www.boosted.com

yeah definite brapple to Jon E Cash, Dreddy & Co. They are definitely on their own thing and are definitely strong on the pure sound pressure tip. I feel like they're more in tune with the whole 808 crunk type of thing than a lot of the people going orchestral on grime, they're keeping it on some minimalist 'just drums' tip which can be real hot. They are also holding it down for the fastness side of grime as opposed to halftime doom bass sludge hop. They're capelton rmx 'inner heart' has stayed in my box and 'Battle' is just pure rowdiness with that blaring bass drop.

i like their emphasis on drums too, much prefer it to the whole ridiculous swizz beats-goes-tubular bells-goes-grime approach of some of ruff squad's beats and things like that. ugh. the fastness is what i like about them also.

I am rather liking "War", "Hoods Up" and "Merc" right now.

What else is good?

DJ Dread D - For the Pirates is good. http://www.discogs.com/release/312615.

I also have Bang Bang Bang which I think is good, can't remember really.

Hoods Up is one of my all time top five grime instrumentals! Total classic.

Jon E Cash was so prolific compared to lots of more lauded Grime scene players. Black Ops really churned out the dark sublow vinyls, discogs lists up to 50 which is a lot by grime standards. That's probably about two if not three times the amount of vinyl put out by the whole of Ruff Sqwad! (Though RS are obviously at least three times better than Black Ops crew).

Yeah it's interesting for a johnny come-lately like me... - is much of it completely rubbish? I'm guessing there was a drop off at some point....

I think Mr Bok Bok was saying he was making a comeback this year with the funky thing - makes sense given the 4/4 mixes on some of the flips...

Also - did anyone actually like the vocals?

no the vocals are usually bad afaik. case in point - all about the sex is great PAUG@sidewinder-style dirty garage if you never play the vocal side.

invade 2 / are 1 is a classic that i still need to get. totally out to lunch. lots of stuff still in print too.

anyone have their deuce cd? i've been after that.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    DJ Dread D - For the Pirates is good.
    and #2 was really good.

crazy how they've been so prolific while sticking to a very tight formula yet in the right DJs hands, especially with decent MCs, it still, always gets me excited. such infectious stuff
    Last edited by nomos; 13-03-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Yeah I've got #2 - "Friday" is wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    anyone have their deuce cd? i've been after that.

yeah, i've got it at home. I'll post it up tonight.

I love how they use those little kid vocal samples just before the tune drops

This recent blog post has some Black Ops tracks on it:
    (can anyone name track 6?)

http://smugpolice.blogspot.com/2008/03/blog-post.html

They have produced a lot of vinyls but there are a select maybe ten tracks from those releases that work as complete tunes. Kamikaze is a personal