Resistence vs. Lines of Flight

TheScuSpeaks

Following Bush's election, many of my progressive friends are talking the canada angle, or more realistically moving to a 'blue' state. And I am reminded of that phrase in Anti-Oedipus, about the schizo knowing that sometimes the most revolutionary action you can do is simply leave, and in so leaving take part of the system with you. I use to totally believe that, and advocate that often. Like the Ape in Kafka's "A Report to the Academy" I was just looking for a way out, freedom was the acrobats flying through the air, and I had had enough of that.
But now that Bush is elected I am beginning to think that rather then go to grad school in cali or ny and study post-marxist theory perhaps I should stay in the south and work on progressive politics. I am reminded how Foucault disagreed with Deleuze on this point, and argued that resistence is key.

Love
TheScuWondersWhatYouThink

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't think where you live should be based purely on political issues! :eek:

There is stuff to be done wherever you are. There is resistance wherever you are.

Good luck!

rob_giri

TheScuSpeaks said:
I am reminded how Foucault disagreed with Deleuze on this point, and argued that resistence is key.

Yea thats right, theres that story about how during the Nazi occupation of Paris, as Foucault was hiding behind cafes with weapons, Deleuze was having a holiday at the beach!

john eden said:
There is stuff to be done wherever you are. There is resistance wherever you are.

Thats beautiful, and i agree. As Foucault says, where there is power, there is resistance, and there is power absolutely everywhere (especially California, dude). I'm no American myself, but if you go hang around Berkeley won't that satisfy you? (or was that only in the 60s? I have no idea myself. :D

johneffay

childOftheBlogosphere said:
Yea thats right, theres that story about how during the Nazi occupation of Paris, as Foucault was hiding behind cafes with weapons, Deleuze was having a holiday at the beach!

And a story is all it is. During WW2, Foucault was at school in Poitiers and somewhere else I forget prior to that. He arrived in Paris in 1945, a year after it was liberated.