Silverdollar on Grime DJs

gabriel

The Heatwave
Logan Sama said:
Not to sound condescending, but if you don't know what I mean, then you can't really have grasped the skills which are held in regard within the grime scene for a deejay.

this sounds intriguing. what do you consider these skills to be? i don't really know much about grime and only own a few records (i'm above all a dancehall dj) - but i'm thinking more and more especially from reading yr posts on this topic that you see the role of the dj in grime to be very similar to that in dancehall

ie tune selection/order, knowing when to drop the next tune, fast cuts, rewinds and so on are the most important 'technical' skills.

?

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
also.. what about vinyl vs cd in grime culture?

im guessing that playing new dubs from cdrs is pretty accepted? Or is it looked down upon..

either way, what do people think about bleep carrying some dubstep/grime? personally, from an aussie point of view, i think it's great!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
xiquet said:
this sounds intriguing. what do you consider these skills to be? i don't really know much about grime and only own a few records (i'm above all a dancehall dj) - but i'm thinking more and more especially from reading yr posts on this topic that you see the role of the dj in grime to be very similar to that in dancehall

ie tune selection/order, knowing when to drop the next tune, fast cuts, rewinds and so on are the most important 'technical' skills.

?

Grimey Garage music is a music influenced by 3 main types of music. Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and Dancehall.

Aspects of those genres djing skills all make up grime.

The reason I mention the dancehall style of "selecting" a lot, is because it is generally ignored by people looking at the music and considering it "dance" music. And while the exact style of selecting in Dancehall is not really applicable to grime, I think it has a big role to play.

I don't see anyone wanting to hear mixes longer than 32 bars in Grime, unlike house and drum n bass.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
minikomi said:
also.. what about vinyl vs cd in grime culture?

im guessing that playing new dubs from cdrs is pretty accepted? Or is it looked down upon..

either way, what do people think about bleep carrying some dubstep/grime? personally, from an aussie point of view, i think it's great!

Playing cds is looked at as someone who isnt spenfing the to cut the tunes. Everyone cuts dubs. Not even rinse has good enough facilities to do a set predominantly off cd. DJ's like Mac 10 and Plasticman bring their own technic cd decks.

This is because there isn't that much money being earnt in the scene, especially by the djs, so playing stuff off cd until you are booked to play out somewhere, and invest the money in cutting the tracks is the norm.

gabriel

The Heatwave
Logan Sama said:
The reason I mention the dancehall style of "selecting" a lot, is because it is generally ignored by people looking at the music and considering it "dance" music. And while the exact style of selecting in Dancehall is not really applicable to grime, I think it has a big role to play.

I don't see anyone wanting to hear mixes longer than 32 bars in Grime, unlike house and drum n bass.

yep. hip hop seems to be moving more to the dancehall juggling style as well, with lots of cuts on the same beat, and djs cutting between tunes quickly.

Tim F

This seems like the most appropriate thread in which to say that Simon Silverdollar speaks the lord's truth when he says:

"And there’s a case for Breeze being the greatest of all grime MCs, bar the incomparable Riko. I find myself almost having to catch my breath sometimes, he sounds so captivating, so deadly and focussed, like he’s going at twice the speed of all the other MCs, even though he’s actually at their tempo: it just feels like a torrent."

Yes! My favourite MC I think. And I haven't even heard the whole of <i>In At The Deep End</i> yet.

S

simon silverdollar

thanks tim.

can we have some more threads about how good i am please? i like them.

bassnation

the abyss
Logan Sama said:
I'd love to see a house dj attempt to bring in a Terror Danjah instrumental over the top of a dexplicit beat 8 bars after it dropped.

It would be amusing.

i reckon theres plenty of skilled house djs who cut and chop more than blend, like derrick carter for instance - who'd be able to do that with his eyes shut.

the thing about dissing 90's dance culture is that its a large amount of music with a huge variety of styles. for every dj like sasha that was about seamlessness, there were many others that were all about impact, including dropping wildly different tempos.

still, it doesn't bother me if a new generation wants to throw all the old stuff out - makes it more interesting even if some of the generalisations made in this thread are wildly inaccurate.

D

droid

Blackdown said:
mixing as the sole musical focus is so tediously anal "i... must... fit... this... drum ... beat... over... this... remarkably similar... drum beat....... lookatmeveryonei'mspecial!!!!!"

most of all dance music mixing is ridiculous because its an artform devoted to an event when achieved you can't even notice it. is it two tracks or one? is it a drum machine beat or a 'perfect mix?'

arrrgh!

This is reductionist and silly to the extreme. A 'perfect' mix isnt one you dont notice, in general they're the ones you notice the most! All mixes boil down to either 'complementary' or 'contrasting' mixes. Your tune either has a simlar beat and/or melody which roll under the tune youre mixing with, or they have a totally different beat and/or melody which 'bounce' off each other... either way, (outside of the purely 4/4 genres ) if the mix is done properly, the tune that comes in should always punctuate the one going out at some point, and create something new during the segue between tracks. Plus - theres always the chance that some of your audience might actually know the tunes that youre playing.

Point taken for house and pure 4x4 music, but once you get into breakbeats (which make up a huge amount of dance music), its a very different story.

...and aren't the only people overly concerned about spotting the switch from one track to the next the trainspotters, rather than the people locked into the beat and dancing (i.e. the reason the dj's playing music in the first place)?

Not at all! Ive seen dancefloors go mad when the first millisecond of the strings from the intro of babylon drop into the mix.... and In my experience (as a raver and a DJ) its the people locked into the beat on the dancefloor who really know whats going on... the trainspotter might be able to tell you all the track names, but a decent crowd will feel every drop in, quick-fade and chop... Thats why Soundclashes work - because the crowd knows all the tunes so well they can react to them, even though some of them are only on the decks for a few seconds...

another negative 90s dance music point is that DJs and DJing has a constrictive effect on arrangement. All tracks must be fixed tempo, have a sparse drum intro etc etc. Grime, which evolved mostly on pirate radio ie free from the constrictions of making people dance, brought new structures, or at least ones with a nod from dancehall and hip hop (not forgetting the influence of Fruity Loops, which forced early producers to use 'switches' ie 8 bars not elongated arrangements).

The form of all music is constricted in some way by its function, and all of those criticisms can be just as easily directed at grime and (especially post-2000) Dancehall, which simply replace one constriction with another. 95% of Dancehall tunes have a fixed 8 bar 'sparse drum'/chat//melody intro that slots neatly into the second half of the typical fixed 16 bar Dancehall chorus. This encourages faster mixes and quick chopping between tunes. Grime is similar with 8/16 bar intros, plus the majority of Grime and dubstep hovers around a 'fixed tempo' of 138bpm. It may vary a little, ala D+B and Techno, but it usually remains within the +/-8 range of a set of decks..

BTW, I find the contention that Seamless/technically good mixing = bad, and 'ruffcut'/technically sloppy mixing = good quite irksome. IMO a Dj can, and should play whatever they want to play, from the ruffest dancehall and crack jungle down to the most coffee table of house - but they should always strive to be technically 'good'. Sure - a few dropped beats here and there arent going to kill anyone, but technical skills are only the means to an end, and not the end itself.

Though I havent done a lot of grime mixing, Id basically agree here. Dancehall, especially the slightly older stuff, has a real looseness to its production that can make long mixes (even with two versions) extremely difficult. This is partly due to badly quantized beats and partly due to the fact that there is often a wide range of notes in the melodic hook and the bassline that can make it difficult to prevent dischord when the second tune stays in for any length of time.

Grime seems to have a lot of similar qualities. It demands punctuation, faster mixes, and short sharp mixes dropped at an exact position in the track. Its as much about selecting as it is mixing. Keith P's 'Stateside Connection' mix that was up here a few months ago was a pretty example of this kind of mixing...

hint

party record with a siren
droid said:
Ive seen dancefloors go mad when the first millisecond of the strings from the intro of babylon drop into the mix.... and In my experience (as a raver and a DJ) its the people locked into the beat on the dancefloor who really know whats going on... the trainspotter might be able to tell you all the track names, but a decent crowd will feel every drop in, quick-fade and chop...

well yes, that was (supposed to be) my point - it's about the effect rather than the method.

blackdown was suggesting that by blurring the lines between where one track ends and another starts you're somehow making things "ridiculous" because he finds it frustrating that it's not clear what's going on. I was suggesting that for the majority of club-goers it's that mystery that makes things so effective- when a new track appears in the middle of another, it's exciting!

Last edited:
D

droid

hint said:
well yes, that was (supposed to be) my point - it's about the effect rather than the method.

blackdown was suggesting that by blurring the lines between where one track ends and another starts you're somehow making things "ridiculous" because he finds it frustrating that it's not clear what's going on. I was suggesting that for the majority of club-goers it's that mystery that makes things so effective- when a new track appears in the middle of another, it's exciting!

Sorry Hint, mustve read it wrong...

Spot on there btw..

Tha Megatron

xiquet said:
yep. hip hop seems to be moving more to the dancehall juggling style as well, with lots of cuts on the same beat, and djs cutting between tunes quickly.

Yeah I'd say this is my mixing style with mixing grime myself here in San Fran. The hard thing for me is mixing grime for a crowd who never heard it before. Maybe some of the UK guys can help me out because I swear I think im doing a good job but the looks of the dancefloor tells a different story.

I guess for me its trying to figure out how to get people excited about the sound if they never heard the music before all while playing without an mc at a party. Id like to have 3 or 4 mcs if I had the chance to personally but since there is a lack of Grime MCs in the area I dont really have any choice on that matter. And with the beats fluxuating from fast to slow/halftime beats people get a bit confused with how to even dance to it. It gets pretty frustrating especially playing beats that you really like while the crowd your playing for are into it/half way into it/or dissing it.

I dont have any problems playing beats for people who are looking for the sound and are into the sounds but for the random person who have no idea what it is its hard to figure out how to convert them to the grime sounds. I dunno...Im just sorta venting my frustration but mos definately I think at least for me to truly experience a grime party/dj in action i need to take my ass to the UK and check out the partay in person.

one day...one day i will...

mega

ps...I think Grime mixing is unique and pretty intense when done off the chain. and yeah Silverdollar's top list is on point. BRAP!

DJL

i'm joking
I DJ'd at a friends party the other night and was asked to play house music from around the mid-nineties which went down well. However I also had a big box of grime and dubstep with me but as soon as I tried to move it in that direction I was asked to "keep it cheesy" as people stopped dancing. Later on when things got a bit wilder I managed to slip in a couple of grime instrumentals and a couple of dubstep tracks by mixing them in around well known oldskool hardcore which people kept dancing to. The main problem is still that not enough people have even heard of grime or especially dubstep so its a case of putting on more nights and mixes to distribute I reckon so they get used to it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
BTW, I find the contention that Seamless/technically good mixing = bad, and 'ruffcut'/technically sloppy mixing = good quite irksome. IMO a Dj can, and should play whatever they want to play, from the ruffest dancehall and crack jungle down to the most coffee table of house - but they should always strive to be technically 'good'. Sure - a few dropped beats here and there arent going to kill anyone, but technical skills are only the means to an end, and not the end itself.

this is also what i was talking about hardcore continuum becoming bad race dissertation for undergrads. hype was one of the most technical djs (if not the most technical) in dance music yet also one of the ruffest mixers ever. he pretty much defined rude mixing.

so many mans who lay claim to the hardcore continuum these days came to it from acid jazz and the nme and what's that bloke called? Patrick Forge.