Whitehouse

mms

sometimes
francesco said:
William Benedict?

I also remember of reading somewhere that Bennet under the pseudonimum of DJ Benetti spins Italo Disco.
Really.

yes this is true he's a big italo guy, used to dj at optimo, djs at cocodisco sometimes.

i like them

he talked at this noise conference ages ago and it was clearly a ruse to pull attractive students, it was basically a lesson in stage hypnotisim and self help nonsense as a winning solution.

his comps of 'world noise' are good as well.

3underscore

mms said:
used to dj at optimo

With the absence of twitch, I would question that, unless it is a different optimo. I know for a fact that beyond the core two of the glasgow night, noone has scored more than one or two gigs. Maybe I am talking on crossed wavelengths and you mean another club.

mms

sometimes
3underscore said:
With the absence of twitch, I would question that, unless it is a different optimo. I know for a fact that beyond the core two of the glasgow night, noone has scored more than one or two gigs. Maybe I am talking on crossed wavelengths and you mean another club.

no i mean optimo, in glasgow where they live.
it was long time ago, even had a sort of playlist interview type thing in musik when that was alive.
just google it or something before you professionally doubt it.
maybe it was only for a few times but it did happen.
but not to be pedantic or anything cos i really don't care at the end of the day.

martin

----
Noah Baby Food said:
What does anyone here think about Peter Sotos? Read bits of his stuff. It's a bit like being punched repeatedly in the face for hours until eventually you just can't feel anything.

I've read 'Index' and 'Total Abuse', with each I started off really shocked and disgusted, but about half-way through I was just like, "Here we go again, cunt cunt little girl's disabled maggot cunt, fuck her up the ass etc" and decided to go and do something else. I never really got where he was trying to go with it, which is probably the point, so he'd have you believe. Mind you, I did rip them up and throw them away cos I got paranoid about someone finding the books and reporting me ('Total Abuse' was that bad). I suppose it's worth a fortune now, knowing my luck...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
john eden said:
LOL - good to see you back here, Mr Dust. :)

:) Been busy Jon, I like to dip in every now and then - see what's going down in the Grime world - not heard much that's tipping me boat at the moment.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
martin said:
I've read 'Index' and 'Total Abuse', with each I started off really shocked and disgusted, but about half-way through I was just like, "Here we go again, cunt cunt little girl's disabled maggot cunt, fuck her up the ass etc" and decided to go and do something else. I never really got where he was trying to go with it, which is probably the point, so he'd have you believe. Mind you, I did rip them up and throw them away cos I got paranoid about someone finding the books and reporting me ('Total Abuse' was that bad). I suppose it's worth a fortune now, knowing my luck...

Never been sure about this fella, Pure was a bit much for me - not because of the content but the lack of intelligence behind it. Must admit I don't like him but I don't know why, guess he's just a cunt!

phirnis

Just read an article from Mute magazine in which William Bennett is quoted on talking quite candidly about growing up in a rather aggressive environment of "a lot of domestic violence behind closed doors" as he calls it. He seems to view Whitehouse as a way of "expressing these traumas" in an art form, adding the notion that he likes to think of himself as "a very non-violent person". Of course this may be not a big surprise for those who have been studying his work for quite a while, but it's still intriguing to see him talking about these issues in a way like that.

atomly

atomiq one
I saw Whitehouse here (Chicago) a few weeks back and was a little surprised. Enjoyed it, but not what I was expecting.

Immryr

Noah Baby Food said:
I really like them, think they're very thought-provoking and damn good theatre. find them interesting sonically too. Saw them in Newcastle last year and it was as camp as a row of tents.

oooooh i was at that gig, the one with consumer electronics opening?? i thought it was a pretty amazing show.

phirnis

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. I found it to be a perfectly appropriate style in order to make a point concerning Whitehouse.

Just recently I've stumbled upon a WH community site on which someone explained some of the references in their lyrics and I have to say that at times this stuff is even grosser than I'd thought it to be.
http://www.livejournal.com/community/qualitytime/?skip=20

That said, I'm really curious about their upcoming record Asceticists as this has to be the most promising of any of their album titles yet.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Big interview with Whitehouse in this months copy of The Wire- a photograph of Philip Best looking absolutely beautiful (from 1983) However the ravages of time are
Apparent in the contemporary photos (William Bennett is wearing AWFUL trousers, thus I’m reassessing my liking)

Noah Baby Food

I love these guys. Saw them for the second time last week, at the Brudenell in Leeds. It was by far the loudest thing I've ever heard, very powerful indeed. The new stuff is good, uses a lot of African instruments and is kinda rhythmic - a definite departure from their early screechy feedback sound. Their campness and over-the-top stage schtick has reached new levels - Philip Best was tweaking his own nipples in a highly dodgy manner. The nicest, most well-mannered blokes you'll ever meet as well. True English eccentrics, I suppose.

Kate Mossad

Massively underrated and misunderstood in my opinion. I'd previously dismissed them as unlistenable clowns but finally "got it" when I saw them live last year after hearing Wriggle Like a Fucking Eel.
I once interviewed William Bennett and found him to be one of the most polite and intelligent people I've ever met. However... I know he's involved in NLP and was aware of being manipulated somewhat.
I'd be really interested in what people have to say about Whitehouse here.