craner

Beast of Burden
Any more tips?

These are the ones to see:

The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Mario Bava)

Blood & Black Lace (Mario Bava)

Lizard in a Woman's Skin (Lucio Fulci)

Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci)

What Have You Done to Solange?http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Have-S...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1226017083&sr=1-2 (Massino Dallamano)

The House with Laughing Windows (Pupi Avati) (Not strictkly giallo, this, but if you enjoyed the Argentos then you need to see it.

Perfume of the Lady in Black (Francesco Barilli) (Again, not strictly giallo, a kind of PCP-mangled Rosemary's Baby, but it just about qualifies.)

The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh (Sergio Martino)

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (Sergio Martino)

The Fifth Cord (Luigi Bazzoni) (This mainly for Franco Nero, the clothes, the music, and some of the most exquisite cinematography this side of The Conformist.)

Those are the ones you'll be wanting to see.

Also, if you enjoyed Argento, you need to be watching all the Mario Bava you can.

All of these films are easily availabe, except for the Martinos, which have gone OP and are now fetching silly prices.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
And Blood & Black Lace which is only availabe via a ghastly transfer. I have a badly cut and dubbed VHS version of this film that is better quality than the VCI dvd. It's very annoying, because this is probably the most vivid and perfect giallo of all and the COLOURS and the picture clarity are CENTRAL to the film's aesthetic.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"anyone into herschell gordon lewis??"
Have a soft spot for some of them. A few are a little disappointing to say the least but I think that the Gore Gore Girls is very.... I don't know, twisted. I mean, it's cartoony but the mind that thinks up that stuff is very odd, the bit where one of the victims has her nipple sliced off and it sprays milk into a glass is fucked. The whole story line of that film is incredibly sexist. Music is great though.
How about Doris Wishman, the low budget HGL? I wouldn't be the first to say that her films are so badly filmed they look as though they are an avant-garde experiment (in rape fantasy usually).

BareBones

wheezy
Have a soft spot for some of them. A few are a little disappointing to say the least but I think that the Gore Gore Girls is very.... I don't know, twisted. I mean, it's cartoony but the mind that thinks up that stuff is very odd, the bit where one of the victims has her nipple sliced off and it sprays milk into a glass is fucked. The whole story line of that film is incredibly sexist. Music is great though.
How about Doris Wishman, the low budget HGL? I wouldn't be the first to say that her films are so badly filmed they look as though they are an avant-garde experiment (in rape fantasy usually).

Never seen any Doris Wishman but I will try to check her out (as I will do with most of the films listed upthread - haven't seen/heard of most of these)... a low-budget HGL sounds kind of amazing in itself, lol

I like Gore-Gore Girls too. True he can be very disappointing but some of his stuff has such a weird editing style / soft-focus psychedelia that I find really sweet. My favourite HGL is Wizard of Gore, i knew i'd love that film even when i heard the title - and it has one of the silliest, most preposterous endings of any film i've seen.

viktorvaughn

And Blood & Black Lace which is only availabe via a ghastly transfer. I have a badly cut and dubbed VHS version of this film that is better quality than the VCI dvd. It's very annoying, because this is probably the most vivid and perfect giallo of all and the COLOURS and the picture clarity are CENTRAL to the film's aesthetic.

Thank for taking the time to do such a comprehensive list. I am really enjoying films with that stalky, queezy atmosphere - thought some are obviously pretty violent it's the sustained tension and the little motifs, the predatory camerawork and the sense of dread/unease permeating the whole fabric of the films that I like best.

Similarly enjoyable is Peeping Tom.

Am getting a 28" monitor and new computer soon so am going to get back on LoveFilm and get back on the cinema wagon pretty hard.:cool:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Never seen any Doris Wishman but I will try to check her out (as I will do with most of the films listed upthread - haven't seen/heard of most of these)... a low-budget HGL sounds kind of amazing in itself, lol"
I remember now, the thing (or one of the things) that makes her films seem particularly odd is the way she never figured out how to synch voices with the mouths so the camera always cuts away from the speaker's face and focuses on their feet or something. The Amazing Transplant is the one I'm particularly thinking of here, it's one of those ones where someone receives part of a dead man (in this case his penis of course) and it takes over causing him to rape loads of women. The film is basically a load of flashbacks to these rapes as the detective retraces the victim/killer's route. It's awful. Don't bother with Nude On The Moon though, that's sooooo boring.

Back to Giallo type things, I watched Strip Nude For Your Killer the other day which was ok.

craner

Beast of Burden
Added useful consumer links to my post above; these are all the best editions of the films currently available. In regard to the more expensive Italian editions, particularly Windows and Solange, it's worth paying the money; for the gorgeous picture quality, original soundtracks with decent subs, and lovely packaging. The UK and US editions are inferior on all fronts, and it makes a difference. The Bava Box sets are the most amazing bargains extant on the DVD market, and you should buy them immediately. As for the Martinos, well, even I'd balk at those prices. It's a shame because his other three, massively inferior, gialli are all available at quite sensible prices.

craner

Beast of Burden
About a year ago, you could have got those Martinos for about £15, but tragically the company that put so much money into assembling these beautiful products went bust. Mainly because of their expensive care. RIP No Shame. Even their lovely web site has gone down.

viktorvaughn

Any more tips?

These are the ones to see:

Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci)

What Have You Done to Solange?http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Have-S...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1226017083&sr=1-2 (Massino Dallamano)

The House with Laughing Windows (Pupi Avati) (Not strictkly giallo, this, but if you enjoyed the Argentos then you need to see it.

Hey thanks again for these tips Craner - i borrowed the three above off a movie nut mate. Didn't think Duckling was that great but the other two are really good. House with laughing windows has a great atmosphere. Bought the cheap Mario Bava box-set from Amazon, have yet to watch it. The prices on there on certain things just seem to be going lower and lower..

craner

Beast of Burden
Didn't think Duckling was that great

Funny, Fulci is a great divider.

Bought the cheap Mario Bava box-set from Amazon

Vol 1 or 2? Would be interested to know what you think of the Bavas.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Funny, Fulci is a great divider."
Just watched The Beyond on Friday - that's a good film. Lots of amazing imagery (like the guy getting his face eaten off by giant spiders) and the ending was brilliantly ambiguous (well - I'm not sure exactly what happened but it was definitely something bad). The plot was fantastic (by which I mean utterly non-existent) as well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The titles of a lot of these films remind me of the (meta)fictional 'Lazlo Woodbine thrillers', a series of books featured in many of Robert Rankin's novels - they're called things like Death Wears A Green Tuxedo and Blonde In A Bodybag. Though the model for them is clearly 40s/50s American detective-genre noir - Woodbine is a 'hard-bitten private eye who doesn't play by the rules...' (you get the idea).

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, yeah, the origin of the Italian gialli, apart from Hitchcock and German krimi films, is the Italian pulp noir novels, called gialli because their covers were yellow. So, in a way, T., spot on. We should merge this thread with my beloved Eurocult thread, much as I love having two on the go about this shit.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i watched Fulci's Contraband last night, it caught my eye as it was tagged as a 'Poliziotteschi' film. a term i hadn't heard about before.

i didn't think it was that great tbh.

i'm starting to wonder if I should be watching Fulchi in dubbed English?

craner

Beast of Burden
Bizarelly, if often helps. Same with Argento. But not at all with Bava, or many others.

I haven't seen Contraband but it's not a highly respected film. Fernando di Leo and Enzo Castellari are your boys for the polizias.

viktorvaughn

Saw

The Killer must Kill Again

not exactly classic giallo as you can see who the killer is from the start and he seems to be a bit more of a contact killer than a psycho (does have an amazing skull like face though), so maybe should be in the eurocult thread?

Got to watch

Lizard in a Womans Skin
All the colours of the dark
The strange vice of Mrs Wardh
Perversion Story

God bless film nerd mates.:D