Gloomcore

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
CDs arrived yesterday and are predictably fabulous -

atm my favourites are Renegade Legion - forbiddingly but compulsively abstrakt, like an alien unlifeform stalking vast underground titanium corridors - and Cypher's 'Frozen Boom Erection' which is not as mentasmatic as its title suggests, but spaced out and quasi-sino -

what i love about gloomcore is that

(1) it has a consistent philosophy, a conceptual world - like all genre production, it is not about 'self-expression' but the exploration of certain conceptual, affective and sonic permutations - I guess an alternative name for it would be Gothic rave, rave beyond the pleasure principle - Acadipane really fingered this in that quotation Simon cited in his piece: "Imagine surveying earth after nuclear destruction and enjoying what you see, that's how it feels when you listen to it." * - it's so true!

(2) the sound actually delivers what the track titles promise - I remember being crushingly disappointed with heavy metal as a kid because the titles would invoke all manner of infernal practices but when you got to hear the music it would just be hoary old rock and roll - like all rave, gloomcore is not 'music' at all and it revels in the 'machinic surplus value' of new technology, the potentials for production of abstract sounds that have no correlate in nature.

* Does anyone know where there are any other interviews with Acardipane btw?

Been fascinated by what they play upstairs at the Slimelight, which is another version of Gothic Rave - not quite gloomcore, but traversing some of the same forbidding sonc wastes - it's sometimes referred to as Power Noise and it's like 'rave Merzbow' - the indifferentist impersonalism of Merzbow (much of his stuff sounds like recordings of the sun) with a beat - acts like Winterkalte, Terrorfakt and Hypnoskull, who sound like an earth scorched or frozen to the point where human habitation is no longer possible - there's so much distortion on the percussion that listening to it is like putting your body into a threshing machine - bliss! Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

(Also, I know Matt is justly wearied by making all manner of CDs for folks, but I'll be happy to make copies of the gloomcore CDs for ppl - first five folk to contact me with their address can have em).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
k-punk said:
(1) it has a consistent philosophy, a conceptual world - like all genre production, it is not about 'self-expression' but the exploration of certain conceptual, affective and sonic permutations
Hey! I think this is what I mean when I say I'm not interested in "originality" in music, and am quite happy withy genres / acts that plough the same furrow, as long as it's a good furrow, cf. the Fall, ragga jungle, UKG, folk music, dancehall...

Tim F

That's a really nice quote actually Mark (the one Paul quotes) - crystallises an issue I've been thinking about a lot lately.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
k-punk said:
(1) it has a consistent philosophy, a conceptual world - like all genre production, it is not about 'self-expression' but the exploration of certain conceptual, affective and sonic permutations - I guess an alternative name for it would be Gothic rave
Actually, this was exactly what The Horrorist called his style.

k-punk said:
Been fascinated by what they play upstairs at the Slimelight, which is another version of Gothic Rave - not quite gloomcore, but traversing some of the same forbidding sonc wastes - it's sometimes referred to as Power Noise and it's like 'rave Merzbow' - the indifferentist impersonalism of Merzbow (much of his stuff sounds like recordings of the sun) with a beat - acts like Winterkalte, Terrorfakt and Hypnoskull, who sound like an earth scorched or frozen to the point where human habitation is no longer possible - there's so much distortion on the percussion that listening to it is like putting your body into a threshing machine - bliss! Does anyone know anything about this stuff?
It seem to be the current version of what is usually known as "noisecore", as well as what I'm calling avant gabber. A main pioneer is probably DJ Freak, who made a lot of stuff that was somewhere between pure noize and full on industrial strenght gabber. Especially his records on Kill Out were ahead of this game. Equally important was the french DJ Laurent Ho, aka Ingler, who divided his output between experimental stuff, groovy gabber paving the way for the Hellfish/Producer style, and the kind of ice cold crunchy stuff you seem to be after. One of the overlooked masters I think, even if he's too prolific. And of course there was the equally overprolific dane Lasse Steen, who started out with Drop Bass terror acid, but eventually developed his own kind of fusion between gloomcore melodies and heavy, broken beated noizefests, mainly as Senical.

The main avant gabber label was Fischkopf (mentioned in an old thread I think), and once again I'll have to recommend the unbelieveable work of the Michelson sisters, Poka (aka No Name/Erase Head) and Stella (aka Auto Psy/Mouse). Sometimes more like musique concrete with a beat (and an insanely brutal one), but certainly related.

kingofcars

hypnoskull, converter, winterkalte, imminent starvation, etc are from a different branch than the fischkopf/hangars liquides avantgabber/noisecore sound...(btw, i always felt dj freak was really overrated...relentlessly pounding and monotonous, without the transcendent qualities...like really bad sex)
labels like *hands* productions, ant-zen, hymen, etc (some crossover w/ things like somatic responses and v. snares there, too) are more in the powernoise scene...the tempos tend to be slower (more like 130-160 bpm as opposed to 240+), and the sound palette is more abrasive and narrow, much less psychedelic.

lasse steen's senical outfit is often much in the powernoise vein, definitely...the records he put out on killing rate were particularly good (i sold my copies years ago, sadly - one of the biggest mistakes i've ever made!)....all of his work is excellent, and fans of gloomy rave music should DEFINITELY take note. he records under names like skullblower, senical, choose, rules of anger, and a bunch of others i can't remember...

six shooter records and the epiteth sublabel uncivilised world are both worth mentioning in this thread as well...

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
kingofcars said:
hypnoskull, converter, winterkalte, imminent starvation, etc are from a different branch than the fischkopf/hangars liquides avantgabber/noisecore sound...(btw, i always felt dj freak was really overrated...relentlessly pounding and monotonous, without the transcendent qualities...like really bad sex)
As with the others mentioned, I think DJ Freaks main problem was being too prolific. He made tons of extremely boring, samey stuff, but when he was really on, like some of the tracks on the Industrial Trauma double, or the wonderfully titled Alien Ravers, Drug Crazed Rioters and Man Eating Machines EP on Laurent Hos Epiteth label, he used his narrowness to his own advantage.

While Fischkopf/Hangars Liquides was mainly (but not completely) a different (if related) school, both Freak and Ho have made stuff that are quite close to at least Converter, the only one of the mentioned names I really know.

kingofcars said:
lasse steen's senical outfit is often much in the powernoise vein, definitely...the records he put out on killing rate were particularly good (i sold my copies years ago, sadly - one of the biggest mistakes i've ever made!)....all of his work is excellent, and fans of gloomy rave music should DEFINITELY take note. he records under names like skullblower, senical, choose, rules of anger, and a bunch of others i can't remember...
The Killing Rate records suffer from bad pressing, and is a bit uneven IMO, but they certainly also contain some of his greatest tracks. Some other noteworthy Lasse aliases: P.Server/Fields of Defacement (on Fischkopf), Dark Session (two of his best ever records, on Six Shooter sublabel Darkness), Fast Identities (on Fraud). The PCP-sublabel Power Plant, probably most known from the Dr. Macabre Voodoo Nightmare 12", was actually originally made as a label for Lasse and his friends Zekt (Søren Weile and Lars Frederiksen) to use exclusively for their particular brand of hard acid. In particular the first Power Plant EP by Formalities (Lasse and Søren) is excellent. People should check out the four Zekt EPs too. Not powernoise, but absolutely mindwrecking, doomy power acid.

kingofcars

hamarplazt said:
As with the others mentioned, I think DJ Freaks main problem was being too prolific. He made tons of extremely boring, samey stuff, but when he was really on, like some of the tracks on the Industrial Trauma double, or the wonderfully titled Alien Ravers, Drug Crazed Rioters and Man Eating Machines EP on Laurent Hos Epiteth label, he used his narrowness to his own advantage.

While Fischkopf/Hangars Liquides was mainly (but not completely) a different (if related) school, both Freak and Ho have made stuff that are quite close to at least Converter, the only one of the mentioned names I really know.

i'm not familiar with the industrial trauma record, but the one freak did for epiteth was pretty good.
there's definitely some crossover between the noisecore and powernoise scenes, agreed.

the powernoise scene also has some tragic crossover with the neo-ebm scene. i feel like people into things like converter also are often into say, velvet acid christ or wumpscut or suicide commando or whatever....

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
kingofcars said:
the powernoise scene also has some tragic crossover with the neo-ebm scene. i feel like people into things like converter also are often into say, velvet acid christ or wumpscut or suicide commando or whatever....
The scenes for goth and noise often collaborate. This is probably because of some common ancestry in early industrial.

kingofcars

i know oliver chesler and gang have a big thing for dirk ivens, who's pretty err...hit or miss in my books....

i like how techno and hardcore have taken more influences from ebm in the past few years, especially post-electroclash...chesler, terence fixmer, thomas heckmann, david caretta's last album, and even miro, adopting big chugging slabs of raw analog bass, harder kicks, etc... i worry when things get a little too over-the-top, though...can't handle too many screechy distorted vocals...

originaldrum

from start till done
how can you say that no one would know these tunes - it has one of my all time fav's - unknown by unknown! a classic!

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Been skimming through the archives, partly looking for a gabba thread...maybe this is the only one?!

I'd agree with the big-ups for Dr Macabre ("Poltergeist", "Dance Macabre" etc) & the 303 Nation/100% Acidiferous stuff...

I always felt the UK operations that followed PCP were left out in the cold a bit in round-ups. They didn't really emerge til right at the end of the nineties & I guess they sorta sit in a furrow for those who still want to hear new PCP stuff, but I'm OK with that. Last Tomorrow Records & associated labels were pretty ace for a while I thought...diminishing returns, but well worth having at least one of theirs (still cheap on Discogs I think). "Phuture Rush" is probably my favourite. A fairly big K influence throughout. Fifth Era seem to have got expensive (the records were certainly limited). Sometimes yr not quite certain what speed the records are, they're so slow compared to the gabba stuff that surrounds them. Pounding though. Really heavily influenced by the darker early nineties european rave stuff, & more eerie themes about psychedelic experiences going wrong, Wearside Jack etc.

There was a really interesting interview with the guy from Disciples of Belial (sorta death metal/speedcore crossover act whose records cost a bomb now) in Record Collector a few months ago about some of the real rarities of the PCP era.

Power Nosie: always wanted to like it & thought I should, but I think its one of those things that are less than the sum of their parts, principally because its not very good dance music. Oh & I never found the really great DJ Freak records either....I want to, but I'm almost tempted to say he should go into the sacred cows thread...maybe not a household name, but when he is mentioned, its usually in hushed tones! :)

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
sooo, tryna ressurect this thread from the cosmic grave it got sent to, after reading this nice primer to acardipane etc

http://www.pendu.org/mag/2011/02/16...it’s-your-everyday-reality-apocalyptik-tekno/

links to an interview with him also

Anyone know much about Fifth Era? pretty into a lot of their stuff recently, would love to see the live but seems to all be in amsterdam (despite being london based)... maybe im missing the info...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EDUoGDKg4HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and related project

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQr7_FM1Nvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nice hypnotic mix here also, mind wipe

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/6517583"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/6517583" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Fifth Era DJ Squad @ Mirage,Ballendstedt April 2.010 AYPS</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/fifth-era">FIFTH ERA</a></span>

Ory

warp drive
this >>>>> anything that's going on in the uk at the moment

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>