records that sound better at the wrong speed

martin

----
john eden said:
And, er, what do they say, Martin? :confused:

How should I bloody know? Am I a Hebrew scholar now or what? Give me a lucky dip bag of superdoves and aspirins and I'll try and transcribe them next time I...oh hang on, I think I gave the 7" version away to someone

tryptych

waiting for a time
I played Boards of Canada's "A Beautiful Place in the Country" EP at 33 for ages before hearing the CD, and also Autechre's "Cichilisuite" (spelling?) - I guess they lend themselves to wrong speed playing!

Two Player's "Extreme Possibilities" had a track/mix that said "either 33 or 45" on the label. This was on Ninja Tune 12" release.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
martin said:
How should I bloody know? Am I a Hebrew scholar now or what? Give me a lucky dip bag of superdoves and aspirins and I'll try and transcribe them next time I...oh hang on, I think I gave the 7" version away to someone

Sorry, I could have sworn you were holding a copy of the the Torah the last time we met. :eek:

Yep the 33 / 45 thing is all about autechre - keynell (the remixes on warp)at the wrong speed is also really nice (and still sounds really strange to me when i hear it at 45)
AE's remix of hypnotise (by lexis) 'on cert 18 is a definate one to be played at 33 - but it's still amazing at 45!
seem to remember finding a release on pork (can't remember the artist) that used, as it's main break, a loop from the AE hypnotise remix played at 33 - which is quite cheeky really - they didn't even cut up! lazy bastids

kingofcars

i know 've got some old french/german speedcore records that would have 33/45/78 written on the label...and yeah, lots of noise stuff suggests playing at any speed.

sort of related is that nomex record on adverse that's a recording of him playing a record (i actually think it was an autechre record) at 1000 rpm w/ a special 'drill turntable' he designed....it sounds great!

wayneandwax

boston jerk
time is loose

once, in a college-days haze of high grade listening, i mistakenly played a booker t and the mgs 45 at 33.

the result was sublime: thick and heavy, with more emotional resonance on the crescendos than at normal speed. really amazing stuff. i later recorded it for posterity. ironically, the track in question was "time is tight."

here's what it sounds like a little loose:
http://wayneandwax.com/music/time-is-loose.mp3

this was years ago, long before i ever heard of dj screw. just seemed like a stoned thing to do, and i was sure i was not the first. not sure what it would sound like on some sizzurp.

nomos

Administrator
matt b said:
one song off squarepusher's vic acid ep is absolutely blinding slowed down
When I got it I was really enjoying the first track at 33 RPM except for the bloody high ptiched ringing. Then I realised that it went away when I bumped it up to exactly 45 RPM or higher. "Kudos, Tom." I said, "Very clever indeed."

Culla

Cog Diss
fasters

Droid's comment on Only Buggin at faster pitch is true - it sounds kickin at least 6-8bpm further up and I did myself a special edit (laboriously looped from sampler-mixer onto md and then on to cd) that is waiting for the right dancefloor to tear up. The second half of the Buggin instrumental in general has some good breaks and other moments on it that take things on from the wack rap.

Ps - anyone who fancies a trip down 85's memory lane should check DJ Revolution's 'Class of 85' (Nocturne) . 38 tracks of that pure block rockin beat expertly mixed into an hour...

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
wayneandwax said:
once, in a college-days haze of high grade listening, i mistakenly played a booker t and the mgs 45 at 33.

the result was sublime: thick and heavy, with more emotional resonance on the crescendos than at normal speed. really amazing stuff. i later recorded it for posterity. ironically, the track in question was "time is tight."

here's what it sounds like a little loose:
http://wayneandwax.com/music/time-is-loose.mp3

this was years ago, long before i ever heard of dj screw. just seemed like a stoned thing to do, and i was sure i was not the first. not sure what it would sound like on some sizzurp.
Sizzup or no, that sounds great. The bit at with the guitar break from 2:08 to 2:43 sounds like it shouldn't be played any other way.

notoriousJ.I.M

There's a track on Plastikman's Musik lp I always prefer on 45 rpm at -8 called lastrak. In fact there's loads of Plastikman stuff which could be played at either speed. Digital's remix of Relics by Studio Pressure is one I was never sure what speed it should be played at, as at 33 it's like a breaks tune but sounds best at +8 but at 45 it seems too fast for a d&b tune, so i pitch it right down.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Klaus Schulzes Innovative Communication-label used to have their LPs play at 45, and you usually didn't notice because, well, they were just ordinary LPs and there was no particular reason why they should be on 45 and it was only written with quite small letters on the top left corner on the back of the cover. And I got quite disappointed realizing that Popol Vuhs Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN should play at 45, it was so much more dark and opressive at 33. Clara Mondshines Luna Africanana too, even more strange at 33. On Robert Schröders Harmonic Ascendant, Schulze wrote that it could also be played at 33 "with a different result".

As for noise, I've got a rather uninspired Merzbow record where one side is 33 and the other 45. I've allways found that hillarious.

kingofcars

was actually just listening to nash the slash's 'decomposing' ep, which is meant to be played on any speed.

only sounds good on 45, tho.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
matt b said:
there are others that were meant to be played at both, but i can't remember them- generally obscure-ish electronica stuff
Yeah, there was a 12" on the Ntone sublabel of Ninja Tunes that was supposed to be played on either speed. Can't remember the artist name, it's a guy who did ambient releases as Woob in a sorta downbeat mode.

The drums and stuff were all pitched right so they didn't sound too bippy and tinny at 45, nor too flaccid and stodgy at 33.

I'm pretty sure I remember some article in Face or somewhere taking the piss out of anoraks, saying one of the sure signs of an anorak is that they listen to records where it's impossible to figure out the correct playback speed.

Funny to see Autechre coming up again and again in that context. :)

Someone mentioned their 'Cichli Suite' and the spelling of it... It's a pun on "sickly sweet", if that helps with remembering how to write it. I was going to say a bad pun, but then what exactly is a good pun? ;)

Last edited:

nonightsweats

any philip glass piece sounds great at slower speeds but especially the early things like "music in fifths' and 'music in similar motion'

Loki

kingofcars said:
sort of related is that nomex record on adverse that's a recording of him playing a record (i actually think it was an autechre record) at 1000 rpm w/ a special 'drill turntable' he designed....it sounds great!

Throbbing Gristle's ultra-speedy version of 'United' works pretty well, especially in the context of the DOA:Third and Final Report album... i can remember spending a lot of time (ah, those were the days...) recording it on a dictaphone and slowing it down trying to hear what the track sounded like because I didn't have the original 7"... I reckon it sounded best at around the 100 rpm mark... kinda bleepy Gabba with less crunchy drums... a few years later and I swear it coulda been released on Mokum...

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
minikomi said:
who has some bronski beat vinyl? i'd love to hear that guys voice slowed down..
Jimmy Somerville's voice is actually kind of scary pitched down from 45 to 33. You can emulate it by slowing an mp3 down to 73% using something like Sound Studio or Cool Edit.

Last edited: