records that sound better at the wrong speed

xero

was minusone
Canada J Soup said:
Jimmy Somerville's voice is actually kind of scary pitched down from 45 to 33. You can emulate it by slowing an mp3 down to 73% using something like Sound Studio or Cool Edit.

one of the cosmic mixtapes (forgive me for forgetting which one, there's tons) has bronski's smalltown boy pitched right down and it sounds amazing
Baldelli played every record he bought at 33 first and if it sounded good he would never play it at 45

pulp fiction at 33 as played by afrika bambaataa to jeers of derision when I saw him DJ once in Brighton - sounded good tho if you weren't already a jungle purist

ripley

Canada J Soup said:
All of Amit's drum+bass stuff make for great dubstep at 33.

yeah same for a lot of that 96-era dark+spooky stuff.. Twisted Anger etc.. only it's a bit too slow for dubstep unless you've got the Vestax decks you can pitch up extra.

Repeater on Peace Off: "poor health bad constitution" at 33 is my favorite slowdown-to-dubstep.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
A friend had two copies of Rockers' Revenge's 'Walking on Sunshine'. For some reason one must've been 45 and another 33, cos he slowed down the acapella on the 45 copy, pitched the instrumental up on the other and mixed the two together. Sounded great. But I was high at the time.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I mean he got the beats going double-time to the vocal so it was vaguely jungly in a weird fashion, but with slightly slurred pitched down vox.

There were four records that came out in 96, which i've been told were tour only releases, for Tortoise's tour that year (Millions now living?). One had a Bundy K. Brown rework thing called Wait (Abstraction No. 3). Simple track, just a few keyboard, vibraphone, and drum loops. I wore out a needle one semester at school starting out the track as I fell asleep and letting the record run all night. As far as I know it was never released on CD. So how did I figure out it was at the "wrong" speed? I accidentally bought it again thinking it was something else in the same series, only this one was pressed at 33 and could be sped up again. So arguably I now have a single song, on vinyl, that I can play at 33, 45 or, what, 57? Depending on how you look at it.

Rei Harakami's Blind/Sway EP sounds weird but good either way, although I'm pretty sure its supposed to be 33, but at 45 it totally sounds like manic proto happy hardcore filtered through a plesent 60s comercial for Sony.

Plaid's Peel session sounds good either way.

piratestyle

droid said:
BTW - has anyone ever made a record that was deliberately meant to be played at both speeds?
Lesser's 'Epic Act', possibly: it purports to have been pressed at a certain speed but I've always suspected that to be a wind-up...the 7" label claims that it's playable however you like, anyway. I've never quite worked out which speed is best, or simply its intended speed...

I've always thought the Diwali riddim sounds ace at the wrong (too fast) speed though. And the long instrumental passages of one of the extended versions (#2?) of Timberlake's 'Like I Love You'.
What DJ Rupture did with Aaliyah's 'Try Again' vocal on one of his mixes was lush, too - really slowed way down, over a spacey R&S dub track..

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
piratestyle said:
I've always thought the Diwali riddim sounds ace at the wrong (too fast) speed though.

Sounds nice slow too. Someone screwed it, sounded great. I think it was on one of the Michael Watts *Choppin em Up* things. Maybe w/ Mike Jones on it?

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
just to end this thread, all records sound better at the wrongspeed, not just 33 or 45 but +3 -1 +7 and beyond, for me that's the beauty of vinyl, twist it, warp it, beef it up.

sweetfred

snoop's "drop it" instrumental sound good at 45, actually the acid mix that came sounded just like that.
there was a big beat record "casual sub - eta" that came out as a 45 and got repressed as a 33, because everyone played it at 33...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Another revived thread...

Yeah, theres been a few things that have been labelled up to play at either speed....theres one on one of the Aphex Analogue Bubblebath records, which he had clearly made with some scetions slow so they sounded jungly when sped up & others fast so they sounded triphoppy when slowed down. All the Dropbeat Records releases I have say 33/45 on them & seem reasonably successful in their sloppy trip hop/drum n bassy way.

Also, didn't Neu! fill half an album with recordings of their 7" (complete with scratch) at different speeds? Ace!

On accidental ones, I spent much of my childhood listening to the saccharine tones of Musical Youth's "Rub A Dub" being turned dread with a flip of a switch & I was quite into a Screwed & Chopped version of MJ's "They Don't Care About Us" that I found in the wake of his death, on Youtube...made you appreciate the drum track more...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also, didn't Neu! fill half an album with recordings of their 7" (complete with scratch) at different speeds? Ace!

Neu 2 - wasn't this done out of necessity (not enough studio money left) rather than experimentation though?

Anyone know what mix the Dj Rupture pitched down version of Aaliyah's Try Again is on (it's mentioned about six answers back)?

lazybrowndog

I played Boards of Canada's "A Beautiful Place in the Country" EP at 33 for ages before hearing the CD,

same, it was like 10 years later for me - i always thought it was miles better at 33

there's a subway ep on soul jazz which i really like the sound of at 33

BareBones

wheezy
don't know if these have been mentioned already but luther vandross 'never too much' and lisa lisa & cult jam's 'i wonder if i take you home' both sound amazing at 33.