records that sound better at the wrong speed

jed_

following on from the drukqs screwed thread - what records do you think sound better at the wrong speed or which ones did you play and enjoy at the wrong speed unaware of what speed they were pressed at?

i listened to and LOVED Autechre's <i>Anvil Vapre</i> EP at 33 and was rather shocked and dissappointed when, a few years later, i heard a CD of it.

similarly i loved Pole 2 (pressed at 45 unlike the other Pole LP's) at 33 and only realised i had been listening to it "wrong" when i saw him live a few months after the record came out.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Not better, but Naked City's Torture Garden is just as good at 33 as it is at the pressed 45.

All of Amit's drum+bass stuff make for great dubstep at 33. Same for a lot of the stuff that came out on the Future Talk label in the late 90s (although it's probably more of a broken beat sound).

Also, it was often unclear to me whether the Butthole Surfers intended a lot of their output to be at 33 or 45.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
melt banana records always really confused me. is this supposed to be this high pitched and fast? .. ohh i get it..

also, ovalprocess is nice at both speeds... still havent worked that one out

daren

There was a local band around here called Organz that consisted of three bassists, a singer, and a drummer. Their record sounded much better at 33rpm than 45, which made their hardcore antics more stoner and sludgy. Oddly enough, they broke up and one of them formed a band similar to Sleep.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
on a vaguely related note, a few of my friends entered a band competition with a one off joke band called Deep Bass Nine.. 9 bass guitarists, singing songs about how awesome space is (space is ace! i believe).. actually sounded very very good.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
i've done some vaguely ambient/drone Djing recently and have used a Slowdive 'Avalon' EP, wacked down to 33 and further on the pitch fader, 'slower' the better, sounds really good.

Slowdive are one of those bands that don't deserve volumes of respect but they did do something extraordinary on a few tracks, i've never found anything quite like their stoner/noise/harmonious thing elsewhere.

I've a few electro tracks where i just can't decide, 33 or 45, you really can't tell what the producers meant.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
used to enjoy listening to parnoid by black sabbath really slow - seems there were alot of people out there that did really in the event of sunn0)))) etc

D

droid

jed_ said:
following on from the drukqs screwed thread - what records do you think sound better at the wrong speed or which ones did you play and enjoy at the wrong speed unaware of what speed they were pressed at?

i listened to and LOVED Autechre's <i>Anvil Vapre</i> EP at 33 and was rather shocked and dissappointed when, a few years later, i heard a CD of it.

similarly i loved Pole 2 (pressed at 45 unlike the other Pole LP's) at 33 and only realised i had been listening to it "wrong" when i saw him live a few months after the record came out.

Spot on with Anvil Vapre. I had a similar experience with the 2 Envave Eps, and I still cant get used to them a the right speed. Another good one is on by Aphex, and, as you mentioned, a lot of the Pole stuff sounds great at both speeds. I used to play old Hidden Agenda and No U-turn tunes out at 33 during that whole 'Nu-breaks' thing a few years back. That seemed to work as well... In fact anything relatively fast (above 150 bpm) is worth trying at 33.

You ocassionally get tunes pressed at 33 that work at 45 too. I have a mix with 'Only Buggin' by Whistle, and some 136bpm late 90s electro tune that works really well - but you're wandering into chipmunk territory there...

BTW - has anyone ever made a record that was deliberately meant to be played at both speeds?

D

droid

Really!? you mean 'Depth Charge - Han do ji' and 'Bounty Killers'? Dont they both have fairly chunky vocal samples?

Sassmo

Miles Davis

Miles Davis' Live At the Philharmonic Hall on 45. I didn't realize it was on 45 for about 10 minutes and by then I was enjoying it too much.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
droid said:
Really!? you mean 'Depth Charge - Han do ji' and 'Bounty Killers'? Dont they both have fairly chunky vocal samples?

thems the ones. i'm sure they were, been a loooong time since i heard them, but when they came out people i knew were quite hyped by the 33/45 thing.

there are others that were meant to be played at both, but i can't remember them- generally obscure-ish electronica stuff

one song off squarepusher's vic acid ep is absolutely blinding slowed down

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
one song off squarepusher's vic acid ep is absolutely blinding slowed down

Yeah one of his singles on that Ambient Soho label was 33/45.

Also some noise people like NON.

martin

----
droid said:
BTW - has anyone ever made a record that was deliberately meant to be played at both speeds?

I had a Panasonic 12" years ago that you could play at any speed. Didn't the Melvins just record old Black Sabbath albums at 10 rpm and pass it off as their own work? The breakdown mid-section of "Nagasaki Nightmare" by Crass has coded messages in Hebrew, if you play it at 33rpm while off your nut on cheap drugs

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
Yeah one of his singles on that Ambient Soho label was 33/45.

oh yeah! 2 tracks (they later turned up on the burning n tree comp- at the faster speed on 33rpm vinyl, thus losing the twin-speed ability). sound good at both speeds too.

john eden

male pale and stale
martin said:
The breakdown mid-section of "Nagasaki Nightmare" by Crass has coded messages in Hebrew, if you play it at 33rpm while off your nut on cheap drugs

And, er, what do they say, Martin? :confused:

Badmarsh

There's a nitin sawhney tune which has a london electricity dnb remix. I can't remember the name of it, but for those that know MJ Cole remixed it as well.

Anyway, for around 3 years I've been playing it on 33...thinking it was some killer london electricity breaks track....turns out its a dnb tune....pitch it up to 45 it sounds boog.