Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor State of Grime

Quote Originally Posted by hint
    Now I've got web access I know that there's little point in paying much attention to the tracklistings of radio sets - I just check the shows for "entertainment", then listen to everything that gets put up on the Independance, Juno and Uptown sites... who knows, sooner or later I might come across that track I heard 3 months ago on a Rinse FM MP3, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to find out anything about it in the meantime.
    thats got to be the best way - still, chuffed that late nite caller is out soon. thats definitely one of those tunes i would have spent years looking for, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation
    i do appreciate it - my mates just started a record label (http://www.offkeyindustries.com/news.php) and hes moved heaven and earth just to find a distributor and get tracks into the shops, all at great expense to himself both in terms of time and money. its a labour of love with scant chance of profit.

but from a punters point of view just want to get hold of as much good dubstep as i can get my hands on. nothing wrong with that, is there?

maybe if the digital downloads thing takes off then it will be easier, esp. for those people overseas who want to keep up.
    Maybe these productions methods are too cumbersome and are slowing the scene down. I love vinyl to bits, but do you still need to press dubplates and white labels to get the music out there?

Quote Originally Posted by bun-u
    Maybe these productions methods are too cumbersome and are slowing the scene down. I love vinyl to bits, but do you still need to press dubplates and white labels to get the music out there?
    That was one thing that was commented on. It is all DVDs at the moment - understandable as they are dirt cheap to produce, easy to flex the volume of, and carry more.

But, of course it is all still about vinyl. Especially dubstep (for me) anyhow.

Now I've got web access I know that there's little point in paying much attention to the tracklistings of radio sets - I just check the shows for "entertainment", then listen to everything that gets put up on the Independance, Juno and Uptown sites... who knows, sooner or later I might come across that track I heard 3 months ago on a Rinse FM MP3, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to find out anything about it in the meantime.
    I'm a clueless North American... where are these sites?

Quote Originally Posted by shudder
    I'm a clueless North American... where are these sites?

juno
    independance
    uptown

I got into UKG / Grime through your column in Muzik .
    Muzik?

anyway i appreciate your point about schedules and i'm delighted there's enthusiasm and demand for dubstep 12"s on this thread but the reality is that it's not always been this way. people have made dubstep because they feel it, no one has ever made it because it sells, so flooding the market with 12"s is alien to them because selling out your pressing is largely alien in dubstep, no matter how amazing some of the 12"s are.

anyway if you want to help, either form a label (i did!) a promotions company ( good luck ) or more simply, get up on the dubplate.net forum and let producers know there's a demand.

heh - I'm confused... ignore me

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
    That's strange.

The Roll Deep and Kano albums were both "really exciting" when they hadn't been released and people were trading radio rips and leaked copies of tracks.
    Is this really true? I mean maybe people who hadn't heard the "leaks" were excited, but the general vibe esp. on the Roll Deep once most of it was heard was not good.

The vibe on the album tracks were so good Relentless added an extra 25 grand to the video budget of the first single.

If you take the 5 people on RWD forum that said they sold out, then fair enough.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
    The vibe on the album tracks were so good Relentless added an extra 25 grand to the video budget of the first single.

If you take the 5 people on RWD forum that said they sold out, then fair enough.
    I'm just going by what I heard here and on ILM. Wasn't a lot of talk in either place about "selling out", just more like people were disappointed that they went in that direction. But maybe that's not a representative sample.

Having had some time to mull over it, I actually really really like the Roll Deep album. Kano's, overall, I like less, I'd have to say.

Every music has lulls, but there's been enough good stuff that I've heard recently that I'm keeping the faith.

anyone see em on top of the pops?
    it was distinctly very fucking odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubberlang
    But maybe that's not a representative sample.
    Who care's if it's representative? We're discussing it on here.

Logan, I don't remember anyone on dissensus saying that the leaks etc of the roll deep album were exciting. The pre-release and post-release buzz have been identical on here: that mostly, it's all a bit naff.

PS That was my meomoryat least, but I did a search and couldn't really find anyone saying anything much at all about it.

The general vibe here was not good on the leaks.