Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor State of Grime

I just spent 70 pounds on records. I think the releses are doing ok. I feel its necessary that grime incorporate all different sorts of musical elements, otherwise its going to back itself into a corner. There are aspects of the Roll Deep album I really enjoy and even better tunes I felt were on the leak. "Stop Chattin Breeze" for starters, Big tune. What put me off about the album was the lyrical content stearing into the direction of love songs. It became a bit too overkill for me at times, not enough balance. Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy some of them but I also love the "rawness" Roll Deep is known for.

As for grime losing momentum....

Not at all. Scenes are picking up more and more speed outside London everyday. I think Londoners might see that and feel there's a bit of weight on their shoulders b/c of it. People like Kano and Roll Deep are trying to bring it to the next level, they're just still learning how.

I have one major gripe though. I'm getting frustrated with cameo's being pulled off of albums. The labels are pulling too many strings. In US Hip Hop people are constantly working together on singles and albums etc. Grime needs that badly.
    Last edited by Keith P; 12-07-2005 at 03:53 AM.

on a side note from an "outsider", of the Best of Grime Scene compilations from Woebot, the 2003 is by far my favorite so far, liking it better than the 2004 and 2005 collections. I just played a party last night and dropped quite a few tunes from that. people were all over it.

Matt how do you feel about them? do you notice you like one year more than the others?

while we're at it, how do you feel about my mixes? which is your favorite?

I think it'll be time to do a grime mix soon as I gather some more material

simon silverdollar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith P
    even better tunes I felt were on the leak. .
    yeah have you heard 'don't want it anymore' ? it reminds me of some of the gentler bits from fennesz's 'endless summer'.

The only album i have from grime this year is Aim High 2, but that's my favourite album of the last two years...

im sure its been discussed before but why arent there any grime comps in the vein of say, 'jungle mania'? is there not a big enough market for it? are labels (and i dont mean majors, i mean the mid-level labels)simply scared of taking a risk? at the end of the day, labels just care about profits so if there was some money to be made in grime, they would put out something like 'grime mania 1, 2, and 3' but perhaps there isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith P
    What put me off about the album was the lyrical content stearing into the direction of love songs. It became a bit too overkill for me at times, not enough balance. .
    wileys album had the very same effect on me

bare love vibes...

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops
    im sure its been discussed before but why arent there any grime comps in the vein of say, 'jungle mania'? is there not a big enough market for it?
    My point exactly. I'd like to know how well the Grime / Grime 2 compo's sold (MMS?). I think there's a ready market for such a compilation at the 5,000 units level. Whether that would work economically depends on advances artists require -- but I think there's big untapped demand for grime. I mean, my wife likes all the grime I play her (more the grinding stuff than the sweet stuff or the minimal mysoginist rap stuff).

Something, in fact, like Logan's recent mix, which is brilliant, not all to my taste and I wasn't too sure about the voiceovers but as a product it's excellent. It should be released properly -- there's almost a moral necessity to do so.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

im guessing 5000 sales might just not be enough to motivate a label into putting something together then releasing it. i know stuff like LOTD DVDs sell about 3000-4000, im guessing its kinda the same number for mixtapes (if not quite a bit less), so maybe its only worth it for the artists and/or DJs to put out cheaply produced mixtape packages. id like to know how run the road did sales-wise - i thought if that did well, there would be other labels clamouring to put out their own grime compilations, so perhaps it didnt do quite enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan
    My point exactly. I'd like to know how well the Grime / Grime 2 compo's sold (MMS?). I think there's a ready market for such a compilation at the 5,000 units level. Whether that would work economically depends on advances artists require -- but I think there's big untapped demand for grime. I mean, my wife likes all the grime I play her (more the grinding stuff than the sweet stuff or the minimal mysoginist rap stuff).

Something, in fact, like Logan's recent mix, which is brilliant, not all to my taste and I wasn't too sure about the voiceovers but as a product it's excellent. It should be released properly -- there's almost a moral necessity to do so.
    i haven't heard logans mix but i quite like voiceovers in mixes if they aren't too frequent. sometimes big ups to the dj over a particularly intense bit of the mix really hypes things up. i'm thinking of some of the jeff mills wizard mixes (electro, early acid, hip hop all mashed up in quick succession) or that dj assault mo wax mix cd.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops
    im sure its been discussed before but why arent there any grime comps in the vein of say, 'jungle mania'? is there not a big enough market for it? are labels (and i dont mean majors, i mean the mid-level labels)simply scared of taking a risk? at the end of the day, labels just care about profits so if there was some money to be made in grime, they would put out something like 'grime mania 1, 2, and 3' but perhaps there isnt.
    there aren't many people doing this because they're loads of hassle to do and dont make much money. on an artist album the copyright rests with one person. on a compilation 30 (say) individual agreements have to be made with different artists or labels which is a stress to organise. seeing as everyone in grime wants to get paid loads (fair enough if you've been brought up on road and are hot...) it makes comps economically somewhere between tricky and unviable.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan

there are the bossman mix cds - they're decent - i got the 2nd one in warpmart with the first one free.

as for the grime/grime 2 they did around the 5,000 units level the first one better than the second when i finished there.

looking forward to the rinse packs - they are looking exciting.

i'm not sure if there is a big untapped market for grime - on the whole it's fast aggressive trebbly and raw and it's not rock music - - ie it's electronic music with almost rocky sonics - it's almost anomaly in some sensess - gonna take people ages to get used to and also to get over the whole sosolid/guns/negativity thing that still associates itself with this sort of music.

Quote Originally Posted by mms
    there are the bossman mix cds - they're decent - i got the 2nd one in warpmart with the first one free.

as for the grime/grime 2 they did around the 5,000 units level the first one better than the second when i finished there.

looking forward to the rinse packs - they are looking exciting.

i'm not sure if there is a big untapped market for grime - on the whole it's fast aggressive trebbly and raw and it's not rock music - - ie it's electronic music with almost rocky sonics - it's almost anomaly in some sensess - gonna take people ages to get used to and also to get over the whole sosolid/guns/negativity thing that still associates itself with this sort of music.

the difference with these DVDs/Bossman style comps is invariably none of the artists get paid. 'it's all promotion.' do you think Bossman had 30k to pay the artists?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown
    the difference with these DVDs/Bossman style comps is invariably none of the artists get paid. 'it's all promotion.' do you think Bossman had 30k to pay the artists?
    of course not mate - but as far as overview/underviews and quality avalaible grime comps go its pretty good.

I'd do lots of compilation, but I have the respect of wanting to ask the artists permission to put stuff on my cds when I do them.

And that is a difficult thing to organise, especially with so many people either in or chasing deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown

Is this unique to certain scenes? I mean the assumption that everyone should get an advance to have a track on a (properly released) compilation?