k-punk on terror

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
henrymiller said:
k-punk is now saying something else, that in it's not cultural repulsion but the presence of western troops in the mid-east that is sole explanation. whatever.

'Sole' explanation? I think not. _Some_ explanation; well, yes...

In any case why would cultural repulsion be _opposed_ to a horror of the Western occupation of the middle-East?

henrymiller said:
the explanation 'western society is decadent on booze and drugs' is shared by norman tebbit.

Many views are shared by these two groups... doesn't mean they are wrong though (this is a version of what I call the Daily Mail fallacy, i.e. if the Daily Mail says it, it must be wrong, so if, for instance, the DM castigate Tracy Emin she must be a great artist)

minoritarian religious cults which justify mass murder worry me more than drug-addled youth.

Yes, but it would be nice not to have to put up with either - and drugs obviously cause FAR more death and destruction that al Qaeda could ever hope to.

dominic

Beast of Burden
henrymiller said:
i'm not sure why you keep saying 'SE asians'.

i meant "south asians," but said "se asians" -- i of course realize that se asia is thailand/vietnam/laos, but for whatever reason that's what i typed

henrymiller said:
well, i suppose that all depends on whether you think drink and drugs = hedonism, and whether pleasure-seeking = self-destruction. i'm no puritan, so i don't recognize this in my own use of alcohol. of course i *have* used it self-destructively, but that's my bidnizz.

i'm not sure what my position is on this question -- let's say my position here is contradictory, incoherent, inarticulate, indefensible, etc -- i.e., i see myself as pretty committed to party culture, it's the one thing i believe in to the extent that i believe in anything (more than money, more than justice, more than education, more than wisdom or its pursuit, more than family or -- at least to this point in my life -- love) -- and yet i certainly wouldn't dismiss k-punk's criticisms of late capitalist hedonism, or leo strauss's criticisms, or any other serious criticisms

craner

Beast of Burden
This was another good thread I inexplicably failed to comment on at the time, when I would have expected to be full-throated. I haven't re-read it in detail yet, but was interested by Matt's opening salvo, and how we would respond ten years on when, to say the least, this issue hasn't gone away.

Status
Not open for further replies.