your top ten films (?)

DannyL

Wild Horses
Rich like I said I need to watch it again - maybe I'll find it too smug to live this time, who knows? I was probably part of the wave of hype first time around (in talking it up) that you were guys were reacting to.

At the minute, my Barbelith handle is Rex Feral though in the past it's been Illmatic, Lucky Liquid, Giant Haystacks and various others I forget. Think we chatted about verygoodplus in a thread? Used to post on there loooaddss esp in "The Temple" - was a mod there for a couple of years, but it's a bit fucked now - no effective moderation software so less inclined to get involved. Plus different job now = less net time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"At the minute, my Barbelith handle is Rex Feral"
Oh yeah, seen that name. I joined on it not too long ago but it's just too ssllllloooowww and all everyone does is sarcastically moan about how crap it is now. Dissensus just seems to be more interesting really. Not too difficult to work out what my name is on there I guess.

zhao

there are no accidents
another one i hated for somewhat similar reasons is the "fantasy world war 2 fairy tale", whatitcalled, the one with the little girl in Spain with the despotic evil tyrant father, and all these 3-D monsters and insects? the fuck was that shit called...

anyhow people are like "surreal", "magical", blah blah blah.

NO IT IS NOT "SURREAL" OR "MAGICAL. IT IS ENTIRELY UNIMAGINATIVE AND BANAL CGI.

a lifeless, rigid, empty husk of a film... and all the people clamoring around it just make me hate it that much more.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"2 - There Will Be Blood
Few films in recent years have made such an instant and dramatic impact as this"
Nooooo! I'm fucking fed up of reading about this film. Did anyone see that interview with DDL in one of the free papers when he was banging on about how he prepared for the role by building loads of oil derricks and tunnels and stuff in his back garden? He sounded like a right pretentious dick.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just to stir it up a bit - it looks as though Zhao and I were wrong - Eternal Sunshine is the 9th best film of all time.

Nooooo! I'm fucking fed up of reading about this film. Did anyone see that interview with DDL in one of the free papers when he was banging on about how he prepared for the role by building loads of oil derricks and tunnels and stuff in his back garden? He sounded like a right pretentious dick.

ha. i had wondered what his "method" had entailed this time. you know- he boxed for two years to make that film about a boxer, what did he do- take over an oilfield? single handedly sink derricks in the desert? fwiw i enjoyed the film and given its quality and popularity it's not a surprise to see it on here, or people with "i drink your milkshake" t shirts. this list is full of ridiculous inclusions and hoary old standbys as usual...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"this list is full of ridiculous inclusions and hoary old standbys as usual..."
Yeah, on further examination this appears to be a particularly poor list but these things can never be any good really - if you pick Citizen Kane as number one it's boring, if you don't then everyone is annoyed, most lists go for a mixture of the two styles and end up being a mess.
I always hated ET - and where was Spermula?

crackerjack

Just to stir it up a bit - it looks as though Zhao and I were wrong - Eternal Sunshine is the 9th best film of all time.

Kinell. I quite liked it (mainly cos I though Winslett was brilliant), but that's just mental.

Yeah, on further examination this appears to be a particularly poor list but these things can never be any good really - if you pick Citizen Kane as number one it's boring, if you don't then everyone is annoyed, most lists go for a mixture of the two styles and end up being a mess.

Yeah, contrived for the sake of being a bit different, though i did watch Kane again recently and thought it had dated massively in the decade or so since I lasst watched it. Touch Of Evil is probably more in tune the times. So long as 3rd man is still riding high somewhere.

viktorvaughn

Drowning by Numbers - Peter Greenaway

I love him! He has made some poor stuff and some stuff that didn't work but at least he had the balls to do it, he is ridiculously articulate and passionate and he could have been a politician or something, he is such a good orator. I saw him speak for over an hour off the cuff and it was immense. I love the recurring tropes of maps, numbers and the Michael Nyman harpsichord stuff. Draughtsman's Contract also brilliant imo, as is A Walk Through H an account of loads of fictional maps.

Clockwork Orange - Kubrick

Just incredible stylish in its retro-futurism and very evocative and I love the language etc. Malcolm Mcdowell has an amazing face too.

Bonny and Clyde with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway

Memories of Murder - modern Korean film. It's great.

Eclipse - Antonioni. Heartbreaking beauty.

Err load of other things...

sus

I'll give what I like best from the directors I like, not sure if I could distinguish between #s 5-20 meaningfully

Tarkovsky—Nostalghia
Lynch—Mulholland Drive
Mamet—House of Games
Guadagnino—Bigger Splash
Antonioni—Blow-Up
Welles—Other Side of the Wind (sorry lol)
PTA—Punch-Drunk Love, Phantom Thread
Almodovar—Skin I Live In, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Robert Altman—Nashville, Short Cuts
Spielberg—Close Encounters
Kubrick—Barry Lyndon
Malick—Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, New World
Herzog—Aguirre
Stillman—Last Days of Disco, Barcelona
Wyler—Ben Hur

Some honorable mentions for Dogtooth, Woodie Allen's Sleeper/Radio Days, and Vivien Leigh's Cleopatra

sus

I really liked this too tbh. I was pretty blown away by it, in fact. I had to keep reminding myself it was Welles as it was so unlike anything else I'd seen of his.
Yeah I loved the mini Italian dream parody movie thing in the middle for like a half hour

Found the whole thing engaging and gripping and weird