is "repoire" a word in the english language?

dominic

Beast of Burden
as in, "i have a good repoire with people on dissensus"

as in, "we developed a good business repoire over the years"

i ask because i can't find the word in any dictionary

Elan

Blackbird
A language question! Whoo-hoo! (Yeah I'm something of a word nerd)

Repoire is a great word but I don't know if it exists in any language. From your examples I think the word is rapport and of course it comes from the French.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Let's have a word thread.

I remembered a defintion for a word yesterday but the word itself eludes me (I think it starts with an "o"). The definition is: "To shorten so as to distort the meaning"

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Digital - do you mean "omit"? Which is to remove something, often used in the context of leaving out an important part of something, hence the phrase "lying by omission".

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Rambler said:

Nope, not the one. Obfuscate connotes burying the important stuff in layers of irrelevant detail whereas the word I was thinking of is leaving out information to result in something that doesn't reflect the meaning/intent of the original.

The "O" thing COULD be a red herring. So if anyone has any other words than don't start with an "O" please post them.

dominic

Beast of Burden
elide?

redact?

bowdlerize, expurgate (purge)

abridge (though here meaning is preserved, merely the length of expression that is shortened)

obliterate

or how about nouns like lacuna?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Ok, this is where I get slightly embarassed because I misled you. The word that I was thinking of is indeed "bowdlerize", thanks dominic. So no 'O' there. Whenever I can't think of a word but I think I can remember the first letter it is always the wrong letter.

luka

if you ever check to see who's online you'll notice that there is ALWAYS at least one guest, usually more, reading this thread. this is obviously a question at the forefront of a lot of peoples minds.

Woebot

if you ever check to see who's online you'll notice that there is ALWAYS at least one guest, usually more, reading this thread. this is obviously a question at the forefront of a lot of peoples minds.

for some unknown reason it's the most searched for term at dissensus. that and g.r.i.m.e.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"To shorten so as to distort the meaning"
word that I was thinking of is indeed "bowdlerize", thanks dominic
I don't think that's exactly what "bowdlerize" means - I think it specifically means to censor or make suitable for younger (or just more innocent) people by cutting bits out - probably at the expense of quality. ie the aim is not to distort the meaning although that may well be the effect.
Yeah, here you go (from wikipedia I'm afraid but that's how I understood it already):

"Thomas Bowdler (July 11, 1754 – February 24, 1825) was an English physician who published an expurgated edition of William Shakespeare's work that he considered to be more appropriate than the original for women and children. He similarly edited Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. His expurgation was the subject of some criticism and ridicule and, through the eponym bowdlerise (or bowdlerize)[1], his name is now associated with prudish censorship of literature, motion pictures and television programmes."
Good word anyway.