+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: so, will Wiley be with Roll Deep in nyc friday???

simon silverdollar Guest

yeah flo-dan (or 'flo-father' as he seems to have taken to calling himself!) is great live- he just puts in so much energy and he's always so on-point.

Quote Originally Posted by petergunn
    they were only supposed to do a few songs and before it started to rain, they announced this was their last song (and then did a 10 minute medley), so i can't complain...
    really? i didn't hear them say that . . . . so i had the impression they just suddenly stopped and walked off at first drop of rain

(plus my uk friend is a manc, so "we" interpret the actions of cockneys in worst light possible)

seriously, if that was all they were scheduled to do and had intended to do, then i'd like to take back the "prima donna" comment and all related remarks

hard to assess kano vs. roll deep, b/c kano was so much more hardcore, whereas roll deep was a lot more tricky and "off" -- and i mean "off" in a good way -- arhythmic, tricky music to make you stumble on the dance floor

my favorite moments were probably seeing Wiley and Trim rap over "eskimo" (nice dancehall style drop out mixing by Karnage on that one... think he was using the faders, not the transformer) on friday and seeing Wiley and Flo Dan rap over "Ice Rink" on saturday, which then got mixed into Eskimo, if i remember right....
    the wiley song that stands out in my mind goes "call it garage/call it 2-step/call it grime/call it eski" or something along those lines -- but i liked all the songs

and with roll deep, it's really the interplay among the four rappers that makes it tricky and "off" and therefore interesting, at least for me

i was at both shows, thought i'd add a bit...
    kano was very solid, his hype man was really good, anyone know his name? he def. played his harder stuff, no r&b... trying to win the crowd over with rapping skills and energy... he did good...
    the "hype man" was ghetto, also late of nasty crew.
    that kano show was fucking raw! bionix was djing too.

oh and they did that new Wiley song about himself about both gigs... pretty catchy ("it's wiley!")...

interesting... also intersting to see Karnage DJ, using just blends, no cuts...
    the wiley song is the one over "ice cream man" - "can't get along with wiley"
    really? i saw karnage working the crossfader quite a lot - there were a lot of nice chops going on.

"that kano show was fucking raw! bionix was djing too."

:O ! i always wondered what happened to bionix. he made some awesome beats a while back!
    Last edited by ambrose; 14-08-2005 at 07:41 PM.

I am insanely jealous of everyone who saw Roll Deep, Juelz Santana, Ghetto & Kano on one bill.

Reading this just makes me wish some (any) grime artists would come to Scotland. It's closer than America! And Germany!

or as mc chosan called him: joo-elllls (it's "jools" like holland..)...
    actually, it's not "jools", its "Ju-Elz". MC Chosan was correct. (DipSet, Bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by cooper

really? i saw karnage working the crossfader quite a lot - there were a lot of nice chops going on.
    but it was blended drops, in more of a jungle DJ style than hip hop cuts, i.e. no intro bass notes, and alot of time the two songs would be gradually blended together, as opposed to hip hop style, where the two songs are played seperately, not blended... the chops were dancehall style during the songs, as a percussive thing...

Quote Originally Posted by boy better know

actually, it's not "jools", its "Ju-Elz". MC Chosan was correct. (DipSet, Bitch)

my bad, he was using the two interchangibly, i meant the other way around...

Sounds like an action packed weekend. Wish those plane tickets from the UK to Cali were cheaper though...id love to get them artists out here. Big ups on the crew who got to see Kano perform and glad to hear he did a dope performance. Was his show up there energy-wise to Dizzee's live performances?
    Roll Deep sounded like they were still sleeping from jetlag from the looks of the reviews but glad to hear they actually came thru to perform. And i feel one of the posters on here bout what they said about Cameo not getting enough time to perform. I mean for cryin out loud (to quote Fumin
    ) Didnt they record all this to be broadcasted on 1xtra? but yeah glad to hear about all the DJs doing their thing and also for the music getting pushed more and more.

**note on Cooper's Blog: Man that commentary on the Knitting Factory was too funny man.

peace out

megatron
    Tha Megatron
    B.I.G. Crew / Alpha Squad
    San Francisco, California

Yo

Just got back from the shows as well...i dont have time to get into it and i'll be working on my report and i'll link it up here but i really think i have a different view on the show than what ive read on here...

I also had a chance to sit down and chill with all the people involved and maybe i saw things differently...

but i'll just say that i liked roll deep on a whole way more than kano's set...one key for it all is that roll deep chilled around the club and talked to lots of ppl so this talk about them being high on themselves is bull...kano came in did his set and left like 15 minutes later...

i was pissed my camera fucked up for the roll deep show, but i got my backup working for the kano show so ive got the whole show on lock...

stayed tooned kiddies
    Cornflake

Quote Originally Posted by ambrose
    "that kano show was fucking raw! bionix was djing too."

:O ! i always wondered what happened to bionix. he made some awesome beats a while back!
    most famously though, he didn't, having claimed 'Capsule' by Hindzy D (Slimzos 001) as his own circa 2002/3.

My 2 sensus:

Friday at KF was very exciting immediately afterward but aiiight in light of the rest of the weekend. It was downright perplexing that Roll Deep did not have 4 mics. Is this Knitting Factory or ABC No Rio? DJ A-Trak was a good addition to the show grime/ukg as part of the hiphop continuum but the show would have benefitted from another stateside performer/DJ before Roll Deep.

Wiley == RZA. Trim and Flowdan were unflaggable. Scratchy was losing his voice so we missed all the "yee yee!" sounds!! What's up with everyone in Roll Deep rocking my middle school gym clothes? Nike Sport '93!

The afternoon show was an enjoyable debacle. Roll Deep was not originally slated to perform so I wasn't surprised at its brevity. They were tighter and more energetic, though more song-to-song oriented than the previous night's rave style. Plus, they had 4 mics!

I won't rehash criticism about the event's administration. It was bizarre that DJ Cameo was on for such a short time, and it was even more bizarre that Human Crack in the Flesh should have performed before Kano. (What was up with the "Juelz is going to play one more.." fake out?)

I have no complaints about Juelz. Perhaps my tastes are becoming more adolescent as I spend so much time around high school students, but I was just as psyched as the kid with the homemade bandana to hear "Mic Check" and the other 12 minutes of music. The kid is a magnet of energy on stage. So homo.

Kano and Ghetto are an atomic combination. After seeing them in the park, I knew it would be ridiculous that evening. Having Diplo DJ was a genius move as it loosed up the crowd in a big way for the visitors to take the stage. (Plus, Diplo scratching that video was ill.. can anyone talk more knowledgably about how this is accomplished?)

The question lingering over this weekend was the one that follows grime discourse in the US, can grime "make it" here? At the park, I was tempted to say, no, as I compared the reaction kids had to Dipset with that of Roll Deep / Kano. There are certain signifiers that make G-Unit as popular as it is that don't exist in UKG. That said, Kano could be the Daddy Yankee that breaks UKG in the USA. I can definitely hear "P's and Q's" getting spins around
    Boston.

What else went down besides performing? Any trans-atlantic collabs or DVD plans?

Quote Originally Posted by captain easychord
    we tried to book riko in toronto but he can't leave europe.
    too bad! would have been awesome!

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/st..._rappers_1.php

Mixed reception for the "British Rappers"

ha! those voice complaints about roll deeps not giving a shit about the crowd, or performing, are the same as those aired by the british press for every stadium gig US hiphop artists do in the UK....maybe roll deep assumed thats how the US likes it?

but theyre right that kano is the most understanding person in grime of how to perform on stage, outside of a sidewinder gig*. thats why i thought he would be bigger than dizzee but it doesnt seem to have happened

* i dont have any evidence to back that up, ive never seen him play, nor did i ever go to sidewinder, but i just got that impression from dvds etc.

+ Reply to Thread